Manchin Opposes Dems’ Call To Expand SCOTUS

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) on Sunday voiced his opposition against calls by several top Democrats to expand the Supreme Court even if Democrats take back the White House and the Senate in the November election.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1334612

I thought DINOs were extinct

10 Likes

It’s a miracle we have a Democratic senator from WV at all. You do you, Joe.

28 Likes

“The whole premise of this Senate and this democracy experiment of ours is certain decency and social order that basically has been expected from us and especially from the Senate from the beginning of our government,”

Have you been paying attention Joe?

34 Likes

The only bipartisanship that’s happened in the last few decades in the Senate has been a universal hatred of ted cruz.

47 Likes

“This is fanning the flames of division.”

Yeah, the Republicans might be mean to us!

16 Likes

well the minority has always played an important part in the Senate’s proceedings.”

And just what role are they playing in the current proceedings, Joe?

Why can’t he just be our version of Susan Collins, and just express how concerned he is about such things, but still end up voting the right way anyway.

28 Likes

He perhaps assumes he’ll have cover from a new majority with a cushion. I wish I were that confident. Looks like he has another few years to maneuver but with trends in WV and elsewhere, can’t see a good chance of his seat staying safe.

3 Likes

How dumb is the DNC here? Why is THIS the guy to be interviewed? I don’t know if they can control if and when he goes on the national talk shows but they should have leaned on him to stay off the air and have someone else do the talking.

He’s great at making the Dems look extreme for wanting to expand the fire department while the RepubliCONS are burning down the town.

17 Likes

It’s the hearth fire that the Senate warms its hands at on cold days.

2 Likes

Manchin walks a fine line. I don’t begrudge him making noises like this. We can absorb it without undue harm.

24 Likes

Now all of the sudden they’re going to say, ‘Oh you don’t have to talk anymore, you just have to have 51 votes and forget about the minority,’

That’s exactly right. Only Republicans get to act this way, for example by blocking one Supreme Court nomination and now rushing a second. Democrats, on the other hand, have to follow the rules. That’s the American way.

19 Likes

And to that I say, FUCK OFF JOE!

7 Likes

Yes, but any day now, the hatred and betrayal by the Republicans will vanish. Like a miracle, it will just go away!

6 Likes

“DINO says what?”

Fuck comity. Fascism doesn’t do ‘comity’ and ‘bipartisanship’

We’re fighting EVIL. There’s no negotiation or accommodation to be reached with EVIL.

10 Likes

10 Likes

If Joe is part of the count to put Dems in power, I am good with it. We are not going to do anything better than this in WV. But it also means Dems probably need to get to 52 or more.

15 Likes

And here’s Little Joey Manchin. What does your daddy do, Joey? “He hangs around Washington DC until there is an important vote, and then tries to make himself a pain in the ass by appearing to care about stuff nobody else care about. That’s what my dad does.”

2 Likes

Since Mitch McConnell wouldn’t schedule hearings for Merrick Garland, it seems only reasonable that the Dems now refuse to even speak one on one in their offices to Trump’s nominee Amy Coney Barrett. Why participate at all? Why shouldn’t Dems show up at the Senate hearings and just proclaim they intend to vote “NO?” All Senate hearing for SC nominees are merely a Kabuki dance anyway. Legitimate questions are not ever answered because “the matter is - or might come - before the court.”

First things first:

Remove Trump
Take the Senate

14 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available