Manchin Opposes Dems’ Call To Expand SCOTUS

Manchin reasoned that he opposes expanding the Supreme Court because it would hinder the Senate from working “in a bipartisan way.”

Where has Manchin been for the last ten years.

6 Likes

We need to pack the Senate with Democrats.

8 Likes

He needs to make this noise on local WV media outlets, not the Sunday morning national outlets

6 Likes

Manchin’s right to tamp down the talk, just like Biden is similarly refusing to make a statement on it.

This is a much better discussion to be held after the election, going down the path right now of promising to expand is not only premature, but may cost votes around the edges.

Once we have the power, then it should absolutely be scorched-earth tactics. But don’t need to get caught in a trap now that the republicans would love to see us in.

24 Likes

50 ways to leave your lover:

4 Likes

Headline says X…quoted portion of interview doesn’t say that at all. Huh?

ETA: Just watched the video and he doesn’t even say it, he frankly waxes philosophical about what the Senate is supposed to embody.

5 Likes

I’m here for the articles. Forget the nekid wymyn.

3 Likes

Clock-running. Schumer is going for the two-hour tactic, wherein they can shut down any and all committee work two hours after the day starts.

If you boycott the hearings, you miss the chance for your folks to use their five minutes of time to run out the two-hour clock and force the hearing to continue the next day…

Won’t change the final result, but could push a vote past election day (and with different political influences at that point, depending on how it goes). At this point, running the clock and hoping for some miracle (covid taking out some senators from being able to vote, for example, that already happened earlier this year in another vote) to keep pushing things out is all we have to work with.

9 Likes

Screw Manchin! Capitulation is not a f’n option. This is a blatant power grab with too much at stake to say fuck it! If the Democrats take the Senate and WH shove it up the Republicans ass and ask them how they like it!

2 Likes

I guess the real question is where does it end?
Lord, we even have people saying dont get envolved in the process. Josh? Not being envolved certainly is not going to change a damn thing. What is needed is more envolvement, aggressive, smart, political envolement.
I think I would rather see term limits.

1 Like

Your OneWordPatentedAnswer™: “No”.

(You can make the royalty check out to @castor_troy, but send it to me and I’ll take care of depositing it… :wink: )

5 Likes

Manchin needs to read Ezra Klein at Vox on what McConnell has done to the Senate - and what Democrats need to do.

Comity is dead in the Senate. It has not been functional for years under McConnell. Try to keep up
Joe. You know the GOP will block everything they can if Democrats take the Senate. Don’t play their game. Don’t rush to take anything off the table.

6 Likes

I also think that not participating in questioning ACB would be letting her off the hook.

I don’t want her to just answer the republicans’ easy questions. I want her to go on record in answering difficult questions, and if she refuses to answer those questions, at least her refusal to answer will be on record.

It probably won’t change anything…but maybe it will in ways that I don’t see yet.

10 Likes

Worth a listen:

11 Likes

Diversity is allowed in the Democratic Party. That’s a key difference.

2 Likes

We’ll have more than 51 votes next year, even if one of them has to be the VP’s.

3 Likes

I think what’s missed here is that voters under the age of 40 are looking for the Dems to stand up and fight for them. They’ve grown up in a world of an increasingly radicalized GOP that’s not been stood up too by a Dem party largely viewed as a group of get along to go along types. Manchin getting up and saying this now, nationally, is perpetuating this idea that Dems still aren’t prepared to engage in the world as it is and fight a political party that is currently advocating violence against half the country.

You’re probably right on the politics of this in DC, but the message is certainly not welcome to a large and suffering demographic.

7 Likes

There are a couple schools of thought on this I’ve seen bandied about, both have good points to consider:

1. If you engage in questioning her on substantive topics about how she would rule on things, risk legitimizing the process and undermining the whole point that it’s not legitimate for her to be there at all.

2. Of course to your point, that it’s the last chance to get her on the record with some uncomfortable things before she gets away.

Hard to say what the right way to fall on that is. At a minimum, should show up to the hearings, and could focus all time on the illegitimate process and keep questions focused on that.

3 Likes

certain decency and social order that basically has been expected from us and especially from the Senate

That horse has left the barn, the barn burned down, and the horse broke its leg and had to be shot.

8 Likes

Then they need to grow the fuck up and learn how the world works.

If they really end up being dumb enough to toss the election to trump, along with the loss of all of their precious rights and wokeness, that’s their problem.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available