Looks Like McCarthy Managed To Cobble Together Enough Votes To Oust Omar

Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) might finally have the votes he needs to keep his longtime promise and block Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) from sitting on the House Foreign Affairs Committee. This comes as Rep. Victoria Spartz (R-IN) — who had previously indicated she would not vote to boot Omar — reversed her previous statement, saying she’ll now support McCarthy’s effort to vote Omar out, which could take place today.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1446971
2 Likes

Omar will make her foes pay for this!

6 Likes

Well this sets a precedent that Dems will surely take advantage of in 2 years. Unless Gym Jordan is just dying to sit on the newly formed House select committee on the sexual molestation of minors.

32 Likes

McCardboard really keeps himself busy, “cobbling” votes to attack Dems - a leader in name only.

20 Likes

Nothing is certain until the vote is taken, counted, and certified.

I’d love for one of those he cobbled to say, no, not so much…

14 Likes

He’s a cobbler, not a cordwainer.

12 Likes

Spartz’s change of heart comes after McCarthy agreed to add new language to the resolution that would allow Omar to appeal the decision with the House Ethics Committee.

Well, that’s damned generous of them. So, let’s see…I believe the Ethics Committee has an equal number of majority and minority members, so the Republican house majority votes her off. She appeals to the committee which comes back 5 for, 5 against, so “no decision.” I guess that means the original vote by the whole House stands and she’s off the committee.

Thanks for playing your part in Kevin’s Kangaroo Kongress farce, Representative Ilhan. Here’s a copy of the home game…

22 Likes

Mr. Pierce has dubbed the Freedumb Wing of the GQP as the “Angry Children’s Brigade.” Like a child, McCardboard has folded to their demands and is making the Democrats “pay” for removing Greene and Gosar last year. Nyah, nyah, nyah, I’m taking my ball home. Pathetic.

16 Likes

Squeaker of the House.

6 Likes

Such weak actions, by such a small pathetic excuse of a man.

19 Likes

I will be pleasantly surprised if my congresscritter Ken Buck keeps his word and doesn’t vote with McCarthy. It will be one of the few times Buck has done something I like.

12 Likes

That’s what it means, unless some Republican on the Ethics Committee does the right thing.

ETA: The only R on the Ethics Committee even remotely likely to buck Qevin is Garbarino, who represents an R+3 PVI Cooke rating on Long Island. I think Omar is toast with respect to the Foreign Affairs Committee.

11 Likes

I look forward to McCarthys ouster in two years.

15 Likes

Just your daily reminder that it’s not just a few bad apples in the GOP, the entire party stands with the likes of Gosar and MTG and Santos.

22 Likes

It weirds me out when Gaetz is even momentarily on the right side of something.

17 Likes

He’s not. He’s just a diseased dick. Every bit of him.

7 Likes

Broken watch. It’s correct twice a day but the bias contribution to the integrated mean squared error kills you.

6 Likes

So a shriveled fig leaf is all that Rep Spartz required? It’s going to be a long two years.

And we’re expected to believe MAGAGaetz “hasn’t made up his mind”? More like, Qevin hasn’t yet promised adequate payback.

17 Likes

I doubt he’ll make it to the end of this fiscal year. That’s September 30, for those keeping track.

Hardly. McQuarthy hasn’t yet met his price, is all it means.

21 Likes

Gaetz’ “not having made up his mind” yet only means there’s something else he thought of that he wants from Kevin McCarthy. It’s a game he knows he can play for two years’ straight.

16 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available