Local Officials On Schools Reopening | Talking Points Memo

Local officials on Sunday expressed that they have hesitations regarding the reopening of schools as coronavirus cases continue surging throughout the country.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1320106
1 Like

I said in another context that school systems will be buried in lawsuits when the kids come home with covid9. A case if res ipsa loquitur.

20 Likes
25 Likes

Schools aren’t reopening. With the current trajectory, we’re going to be recording well over 100k cases/day by August, and there will be no desire out there to bring kids and teachers together.

32 Likes

As usual, Donnie’s camp is gung ho on extorting compliance with their wishes: ‘Do it, or we’ll take, take, take.’ Standard Trumpism.
At the same time, they’re making no effort to find the funding to allow it to happen.
Unfunded mandates: standard Republicanism.
ETA: By all good sense and science, in most US cases, it shouldn’t happen any way.

14 Likes

Or not.

21 Likes

It’s all about the loss of productivity caused by parents staying home with the kids. Like they used to.

“Come on, it’s not that hard.” So said White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow to CNN’s Kaitlan Collins on Friday when asked about lost productivity, as parents care for children out of school during the pandemic. “Just go back to school, we can do that.”

When we were all in lockdown in March and April and pollution disappeared and Italians were singing to each other, I thought maybe we could come out the other side with a new understanding and a renewed sense of being one nation and we could move forward all over the world.

yeah. I’m always hoping for a Star Trek future. I keep getting slapped but I am never giving up.

51 Likes

Hey, towards the end of things, even Hitler was willing to sacrifice kids at the front lines.

So I guess the positive to take away is that we’re nearing the finish line of our national nightmare.

27 Likes

I would tend to think more so if there was a plot among his cabinet to blow him to smithereens.

23 Likes

“There are a number … of problems that have to be solved in order to open schools safely. The president is incapable of solving them. He just wants them open, so that people can go back to work,"

@chrislhayes

says. "So he can get reelected.”

20 Likes

“All three teachers wore masks and gloves, used hand sanitizer and socially distanced, but still got sick…‘I think that’s really the message or the concern that our staff has is we can’t even keep our staff safe by themselves … how are we going to keep 20 kids in a classroom safe?’”

At the very least, we will lose an entire generation of teachers.

Worse, we may lose an entire generation of children or their parents or their grandparents.

This is madness.

America is adrift – rudderless – as a doddering moron flails impotently, screaming for adoration.

And the lower decks flood with water rising at alarming speed and ever-increasing acceleration.

44 Likes

Everything is about that. Everydamnthing.

17 Likes

Follow The Money.

8 Likes

Because he thinks it’ll get him reelected. FIFY.
I’m afraid that train departed the station, and its never coming back.

12 Likes

Assuming your mean figuratively, looks like that’s underway. Someone had to twist his arm really hard to get him to put on a mask.

18 Likes

I do mean figuratively of course. (:upside_down_face:) And I like your view of that. May it be another sign of the end of this.

10 Likes

Let our schools spend the next semester building their online capacity.
Pay them well for it to fill the fiscal gap. especially the home-bound teachers.
It costs less to give a child a laptop than it does to bury their grandmother.

26 Likes

Eloquent

9 Likes

Pro tip to Trump: You don’t get re-elected on the backs of sick kids and teachers.

16 Likes

jee wiz, what a tease.
but very possible. it’s called magic.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available