‘Legislative Terrorist’ Jim Jordan Spins Himself As Great Uniter

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH), the baggage-touting, election-denying, shutdown enthusiast, who John Boehner once disgustedly christened a “legislative terrorist,” is trying to pitch himself as a Republican unifier ahead of his uncertain floor vote for speaker Tuesday.   

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1471227
2 Likes

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH), the baggage-touting, election-denying, shutdown enthusiast, who John Boehner once disgustedly christened a “legislative terrorist,” is trying to pitch himself as a Republican unifier ahead of his uncertain floor vote for speaker Tuesday.

“The principles that unite us as Republicans are far greater than the disagreements that divide us,” he wrote in a Monday letter to his colleagues. “And the differences between us and our Democrat colleagues vastly outweigh our internal divisions. The country and our conference cannot afford us attacking each other right now.”

Seems like the GOP has this last chance to NOT remain just the Trump Party by denying Jordan the gavel. I am not hopeful.

39 Likes

Gym Jordan a uniter… WOW… of what? Misfits, imbeclies, and other assorted assholes?

56 Likes

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH), the baggage-touting, election-denying, shutdown enthusiast

Should this read, “baggage-toting”, or is he shilling for Tumi?

20 Likes

I’m not sure…but I am also able to imagine Jordan touting his baggage.

25 Likes

In a strategy that breaks with Scalise’s, Jordan is reportedly pushing a House floor vote Tuesday afternoon whether or not he’s locked down the win beforehand.

This could be one of the funniest things to have ever happened in the House of Representatives.

GIMME SOME DRAMATIC MCCAIN THUMBS-DOWNS

Jim Jordan, counting chickens before they’ve hatched and counting on indomitable browbeating to carry the day? It’s admittedly pretty on-brand.

28 Likes

BREAKING: Legislative Utopia Promised by Reichstag Arsonist.

60 Likes

This is the very picture of corruption:

Corruption Personafied

29 Likes

if Jordan is elected speaker, pro-Democratic forces will work to ensure that every elected Republican is tarred with the same brush.

They’re gonna need a big brushes.

23 Likes

They are, however, very tiny bags.

10 Likes

33 Likes

There’s a tea-bagging joke in there somewhere – but I’m not gonna make it!

30 Likes

Actually, though, I think he’s going to be the next speaker as of tomorrow. Who else is there? If not tomorrow, the next day, it will just put off the inevitable. It will be fascinating to watch in the sense that we know that Curly is going to diss Moe and then Moe will poke Curley in the eyes and slap Larry for good measure, but the fun is in the anticipation of the comic events.

23 Likes

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH)…who John Boehner once disgustedly christened a “legislative terrorist,” is trying to pitch himself as a Republican unifier.

Jordan has also marshaled the power of the Trumpian right-wing ecosystem to browbeat the holdouts into getting behind him.

“The beatings will continue until majority approves…”

34 Likes

I do too, but my usual mental rubric is that we’re all much too sure of things almost all the time. Certainly no Speaker candidate in my lifetime has been as outwardly reprehensible as Jim Jordan, the caucus has never been more fractured, and the size of the majority has rarely been so slim.

I don’t give some kind of freak outcome like “Democrats and fifty Republicans come together in mid-November to nominate John Kasich” a majority chance, but I think it has a meaningfully non-zero chance.

14 Likes

And the republican delegation will rally to his side, cowards all. But yeah Kevin McCarthy, you see how inept are you that, Jim Jordan is accomplishing easily what it took you 15 rounds and dropping your pants and bending over.

10 Likes

Isn’t the ability to lock down the count before the floor vote the difference between an excellent speaker (see, Nancy Pelosi) and a lousy one (Kevin McCarthy). There is a person (the whip) who has that specific job! And with no rule change how long before Jordan is out?

11 Likes

That is the only language that Republicans understand…

8 Likes

Well, yeah. I don’t know that he’s going be the speaker, but I think he is and so does our host, Josh. This isn’t about governing, and who’s most capable of directing it’s progression, it’s about choosing the leader of a mob.

27 Likes

When Republicans say “unity,” they mean “Everybody do what I say.” When they say “peace and unity,” they mean Everybody shut up and do what I say.”

29 Likes