Legislative Staff Debugs Climate Plan As Manchin Threatens Its Existence

As Democratic moderates stake out ultimatums, party leadership tries to keep the agenda in one piece and the White House attempts to polish the messy optics of legislative sausage-making, staffers continue to plug away at crafting the actual reconciliation package behind the scenes. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1388087

Manchin has only one agenda, to keep the coffers of his donors filled with money to give back to him.

7 Likes

I like Nancy Pelosi’s skill and spirit. And perspective.

I like the staffers plugging away

I like the stewardship that the WH has to exert on what will be the signature pieces of our legislation

I like the fact that this legislation has popular support.

I do not like the framing of these projects

Yes, they are important for the Democrats. But, in this case, the Democrats are endeavoring to pass needed legislation for Americans…even Republicans

19 Likes

What would you (meaning anyone) do to convince Manchin to shut up and fly right?

Expose that he’s bought and paid for by Rs? Probably wouldn’t matter much.
Threaten to unleash the legal hounds on his daughter? Hmmmm…maybe.

Anything else? I’m tired of playing nice with this man.

7 Likes

We must have a strong climate plan. No ex-CEPP-tions!

5 Likes

Activists and experts alike have long fretted that Manchin’ chairing the Senate committee charged with crafting the CEPP is akin to a pyromaniac heading the local fire department.

1al gore

11 Likes

Is there any limitation on our selection and use of certain instruments to accomplish the task?

2 Likes

Well, the horror of the situation is that any meanness could cause Manchin to go Republican. You just KNOW that they have been offering him the world and all its riches to switch parties.

Which would mean Moscow Mitch once more controls the entire First Branch of Government. We can’t let that happen.

Manchin is nominally a Dem. That means he has a “better nature” to appeal to. Get his constituents to beg for a Green New Deal. Manchin is apparently in it for the coal mine operators and oil companies, whence comes his money. But he’s in office because his constituents (the “little people”) are the ones who vote. They need to plead for safer, greener jobs and controlling climate change. For the medical care they need, thanks to their coal-mining former jobs. For an end to mountaintop removal and heavy metal poisoning of their streams, where their grandparents used to be able fish.

And it would have the added advantage of being true.

2 Likes

Why doesn’t the Senate have rules requiring recusal in a situation such as this one, which has has some ethical considerations that don’t seem to be adequately addressed at the moment. If a Senator has a huge conflict of interest, as Manchin does, how is it possible that he’s in the position to torpedo the Biden agenda in order to advance his own personal economic interests?

4 Likes

Because there would be no one left to vote on the legislation.

17 Likes

In related news…

BREAKING: Kosher Certification Consortium’s New Rules To Be Crafted By Jeffrey Dahmer.

11 Likes

BREAK: Xi Jinping says China will stop building coal plants overseas. This almost completely ends the international finance of coal in a single sentence.

— Paul Cogan (@PaulCogan) September 21, 2021
19 Likes

Legislative Staff Debugs Climate Plan As Manchin Threatens Its Our Existence

Fixed.

8 Likes

Not sure how that necessarily disqualifies Dahmer. What are the rules covering Kosher prep and was he particularly not observant?

3 Likes

I would lower funding to WV in the next years annual budget, one percentage point a week that he doesn’t “come around”. Maybe focus on their jobs programs designed to replace lost jobs from coal industries, and any programs that help his donors. And then let his donors know that this is why they’re losing funding. Instead of completely axing their budgets, move the budget into enforcement of IRS and other regulatory apparatuses in West Virginia. Oh sorry, we would love to finance your employment programs but it turns out there’s just too much tax evasion in WV right now.

1 Like

:grinning: Jimmy Dean might work there as well, because profit motive.

2 Likes

Wow!!

6 Likes

Joe Manchin is the bigly lump of coal in America’s Xmas stocking.

12 Likes

All that achieves is heightening Manchin’s concern that he needs to protect his coal profits even more so that he can squeeze out whatever last drops remain.

2 Likes

Manchin is getting his street cred burnished, and maybe the next dem that comes along won’t have such a long row to hoe.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available