Lawmakers Attempting Takeover Of Funds For Jackson’s Water System, Federal Manager Warns

This article was first published by ProPublica and the Mississippi Free Press. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1447438

I commented on this days ago and remember when TPM didn’t repeat old news.

4 Likes

How long before they’re calling this Welfare Water?

16 Likes

A transparent move by the Misssissippi legislature to seize control over a large pot of money in order to divert it away from the repair and upgrade of Jackon’s water system. They don’t care about water quality in Jackson. It’s all about spending the money in affluent neighborhoods and suburbs. Plantation politics is the best description -keeping them in their place.

20 Likes

a “regional authority” to oversee the funds specifically dedicated to a defined municipality & its public water system … surely the regional authority will come to see that the funds would better spent on something like a volley ball arena - located 90 miles away from said municipality

12 Likes

I have no knowledge of whether Jackson can use the money wisely and ethically to solve its problems. But I suspect that “Tater” Reeves cannot and would not even if he could.

7 Likes

I think of Congressman Bennie Thompson…and hope that he can help in this.

5 Likes

Has Jackson Mayor Chokwe A. Lumumba contacted his congressional representative for discussions regarding this federal money?

During his time as mayor (of Bolton), Thompson improved the city’s infrastructure by paving roads, fixing the water and sewer systems.

He or his staff may have recommendations for the Jackson mayor to deal with state concerns.

7 Likes

This makes no sense to me:

"He (Parker) said he believed the governor and lieutenant governor should appoint a majority of the board’s members because Mississippi’s failure to “provide the basic needs and services that our people deserve is reflected 100% back on the governor and the people in this building.”

So let me get this right, the people who for whatever reason neglected and caused the situation by spending state money for other then fixing the water system should be given the federal money so they can repeat the process.

Am I missing anything?

18 Likes

mississippi grift?

3 Likes

High Grading.

In forestry, fishing and mining, high grading refers to the selective harvesting of goods to keep only the most valuable items. The term is frequently associated with fraud, especially in mining.

10 Likes

bingo

@ralph_vonholst

5 Likes

When Thompson became the mayor of Bolton, MS he found that the prior mayor wasn’t applying for federal funding and grants, (hmmm wonder why?) the kind of basic things readily available for improving conditions in that Delta town. So he immediately started to apply for them.

5 Likes

HOW ABOUT SOME FUCKING STATE TAX REVENUE YOU MOOCHING RED STATE TWATS!?!?!?!?

“He said he believed the governor and lieutenant governor should appoint a majority of the board’s members because Mississippi’s failure to “provide the basic needs and services that our people deserve is reflected 100% back on the governor and the people in this building.””

Riiiiiiight…the people in charge who were ultimately responsible for it and fucked it all up should be handed even more control over everything precisely BECAUSE they fucked it all up. Do these people even listen to the idiot words coming out of their idiot mouths?

NOBODY IS FUCKING FOOLED. They’re trying to depopulate Jackson and send “them” all fleeing to other states.

6 Likes

It is also about the contractors, engineers, and supply channels. The residents of Jackson might make the wrong choices. You know, people that don’t make campaign (kickback) contributions.

4 Likes

Know who else controls the water in a region so that they can oppress and subjugate that region’s population? Israel.

The white-controlled apartheid state of Mississippi doesn’t want to pay for the black City of Jackson to have a functioning, adequate and safe water supply. It wants the POC of Jackson to have to pay for it all by themselves so white racist fucktard plutocrats who control the state can live in their mindless ideological daydream bubble of low and no state taxes, being the real welfare queens of our country, who mooch off the blue states via the federal gov’t at all times and to the greatest extent they can possibly manage.

5 Likes

Of course it’s welfare water. Everything about Mississippi, starting with its abject dependence on blue state revenue streams feeding the federal gov’t is fucking welfare.

8 Likes

Someone somewhere in the city of Jackson up to and including the state legislature ain’t doin’ their job well at all. Or they see a chance at a large payday for which they’re willing to sacrifice the residents in the city of Jackson, sad to say.

4 Likes

Are you referring to Brett Favre the Magat Lavre?

5 Likes

“Over the years, state leaders including the current governor, Tate Reeves, have expressed skepticism about whether Jackson is capable of managing its own affairs.”

Sure. Come on, state it out loud. “'Dem ni–, uh, blacks ain’t com-pee-tent.”

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available