Lawmakers Attempting Takeover Of Funds For Jackson’s Water System, Federal Manager Warns

“Especially in mining”
It’s a dirty business.

4 Likes

Gvien the low voter turnout among Mississippi’s black population, it would seem that some serious organizing needs to be done there to get out the vote and energize and educate the voters.

I would think that the Democratic party would recognize this and spend the money necessary to accomplish this goal.

It would be good for the state, good for its citizens, and probably turn the sate a nice shade of blue.

The South overall is not really conservative—it’s just unorganized politically.

6 Likes

maybe something along those lines … and definitely out of bounds

1 Like

I had exactly the same reaction to that statement.

4 Likes

I imagine that Democrats are an endangered species in Mississippi. Organizers would likely have to come from outside of the state. And that’s what got some of them killed in 1961. I don’t see that Mississippi has changed a whole heck of a lot since then, either.

1 Like

It has a rocky foundation.

2 Likes

I thought apartheid was so 20th century. Here it is big and loud in Jackson, Mississippi.

3 Likes

The very, very best thing you can say about this story is it is noblesse oblige run amok. The white folk don’t believe the black folk can be trusted to use the money to renovate Jackson’s Water System. More likely the white people in the state government want to use the $600,000,000 to help other white people at the expense of the black people of Jackson. Welcome to the 19th century.

1 Like

Mississippi 2022 midterm turn out 32%, lowest in the USA. Because voting clearly doesn’t matter. 49th state in overall rankings (Yay Louisiana!) PPE the same as Estonia, Poland or Hungary.

1 Like

Well, you could say “Either / Ore”

2 Likes

One of the things you see repeated over and over again is a fiscal mismatch in a high-poverty city. There are a set of things municipalities are expected to provide: schools, fire, police, roads, elections and, often, water. There are a few ways to raise revenue for those expenditures, but no guarantee that the income that can be raised will meet the expenses. It’s common in high-poverty cities to not be able to generate revenue to cover expenses. Because the high-poverty cities are often majority black with black-run governments, the rest of the state assumes it’s the black city managers who are incompetent, not that they have an impossible job.

As taxes rise and services are cut to make ends meet, , the people who can afford to leave do,leaving the city no better off.

2 Likes

Another thing you (sometimes) see in conjunction with that is a large commitment to provide facilities for entities (a seat of state government, for example) that expect services without necessarily paying any taxes.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available