Largest US LGBTQ Advocacy Group Issues Travel Advisory For Florida As DeSantis Readies 2024 Bid

I did the Huston / Galveston thing once. Nothing there to bring me back. May fave in Texas is Brownsville…thought about living there.

1 Like

Mrs. Awiztherewas and I were in Ft. Lauderdale a few weeks ago for a long weekend. Stayed on the beach. It was fine.

4 Likes

If you have to live near the coast and cheap pharmaceuticals, Brownsville is not a bad choice. Also real barbacoa and citrus and fresh Gulf shrimp and great weather and now I’m talking myself into it.

4 Likes

TALLAHASSEE (The Borowitz Report)—Ron DeSantis is hoping to seem like a normal person by appearing next to Elon Musk, the Governor’s campaign has confirmed.

“Throughout the past few months, with his attacks on Disney, migrants, and books, Ron has, unfortunately, given the impression that he is bizarre,” one aide said. “And the white boots didn’t help, either.”

The aide said that, once voters compare DeSantis to the Twitter chief, “there’s at least a chance that Ron will seem somewhat normal.”

According to the aide, the campaign decided to pair DeSantis with Musk after considering a shortlist of other foils, including Mickey Rourke, Dennis Rodman, and Ginni Thomas.

In an official statement about his joint appearance with DeSantis, Musk said that he was “thrilled” that he had finally convinced someone to come into the office.

9 Likes

The Animatronic LBJ!

2 Likes

McDonald Observatory

https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/visitors

2 Likes

It’s also blessedly air conditioned. Which is why the battle for it was so important.

11 Likes

In the spring, when it’s covered in ladybugs.

2 Likes

From El Paso, White Sands National Monument is a doable day trip. Truth or Consequences has hot spring spas and Elephant Butte Lake, which has water in it this year. On the west side of Las Cruces, Old Mesilla has shops and restaurants.

2 Likes

Carlsbad Caverns. Sign up in advance for the guided flashlight tours of the unlit caves. Stay for the bats.

Or, better yet, make your way down to Big Bend.

4 Likes

Amen.

2 Likes

I’ve visited Houston quite regularly for the last three and a half decades, rarely getting far from the Texas Medical Center (a city in it’s own right). It actually has some great little neighborhoods, unexpectedly good food, and really good museums. It’s worth going there just to experience the Rothko Chapel and the Menil Collection. The time I toured NASA was a blast (so to speak). Just don’t go when it’s brutally hot.

2 Likes

We sometimes forget the treasures in our own backyard.

My son lives in Houston. Every time I visit my main impression is it’s comprised of several square miles of almost nothing but strip malls. Hundreds and hundreds of strip malls.

4 Likes

And the Davis mountains for your soul.

1 Like

There’s also the Amon Carter Museum in Ft. Worth.

1 Like

As an expat from Brownsville I can attest to some charms, mostly proximity to Mexico (Matamoros) and the beach. Used to fish around Boca Chica. Great surf fishing. Now I hear they blow up rockets out there.

Well that is true, but there are cool little pockets of fun. And apparently no zoning whatsoever.

1 Like

Little Dickie DeSantis will be debuting his cotillion dress tonight on Twitter. The chiffon should look marvelous with the white plastic boots.

Does DeSantis hafta resign as governor or has FL changed that law when he announces he is running?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available