Largest US LGBTQ Advocacy Group Issues Travel Advisory For Florida As DeSantis Readies 2024 Bid

Amen.

2 Likes

I’ve visited Houston quite regularly for the last three and a half decades, rarely getting far from the Texas Medical Center (a city in it’s own right). It actually has some great little neighborhoods, unexpectedly good food, and really good museums. It’s worth going there just to experience the Rothko Chapel and the Menil Collection. The time I toured NASA was a blast (so to speak). Just don’t go when it’s brutally hot.

2 Likes

We sometimes forget the treasures in our own backyard.

My son lives in Houston. Every time I visit my main impression is it’s comprised of several square miles of almost nothing but strip malls. Hundreds and hundreds of strip malls.

4 Likes

And the Davis mountains for your soul.

1 Like

There’s also the Amon Carter Museum in Ft. Worth.

1 Like

As an expat from Brownsville I can attest to some charms, mostly proximity to Mexico (Matamoros) and the beach. Used to fish around Boca Chica. Great surf fishing. Now I hear they blow up rockets out there.

Well that is true, but there are cool little pockets of fun. And apparently no zoning whatsoever.

1 Like

Little Dickie DeSantis will be debuting his cotillion dress tonight on Twitter. The chiffon should look marvelous with the white plastic boots.

Does DeSantis hafta resign as governor or has FL changed that law when he announces he is running?

You can see bats in Austin downtown under the bridge at dusk and in north San Antonio.

Does Galveston still have that immersive exhibit dedicated to the devastating Hurricane of 1900? We visited with our kid when he was pretty young and unfortunately it rather traumatized him.

The Carlsbad bats are way more numerous than the Congress Ave. bridge, but the latter are still worth waiting for dusk to arrive if you’re in town.

Now, now, america has a long history of (eventually) accepting refugees from oppressive regimes. Though any floridians in a hurry would be well advised to try canada first.

This. Something everyone should do at least once. I was so impressed I went a second time. It’s also worth walking down if you have the time. Take the elevator up, of course.

1 Like

No elevators in the unlit caverns I was referring to, but the main complex is freaking awesome. It’s a whole lot cooler hiking your way to a natural opening (gated) with a park ranger and maybe 20 people with just flashlights for a tour of a cave that’s every bit as cool as the one with all the daytrippers and the dramatic lighting. Although it appears that those tour options have been suspended since covid. :frowning:

I did do one of the reserved tours. You can get to your tour by elevator or by walking down (about an 800 foot vertical descent). You aint seen dark until you do it 800 feet down in a cave when they shut off all the lights. And yes, the bats exiting that little amphitheatre at dusk is fantastic.

Yeah, I’m talking about another cave entirely (though likely linked in one way or another) within the same National Park. I think the one I got to tour in the early 90s was the Slaughter Canyon Cave. It takes a reservation, a hike of maybe a mile or so, a park ranger, and a flashlight with new batteries to see. I’d love to get a look at Lechuguilla, but it’s highly restricted.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available