Kushner Company Agrees To Pay At Least $3.25 Million To Settle Claims Of Shoddy Apartments And Rent Abuses

This story first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1433492

Firstest!

100 tenants in 31 days
 you know it’s the tip of the iceberg.

38 Likes

Westminster may end up paying considerably more than $3.25 million, since there is no limit on the amount of restitution the special master can order.

I think that’s the real story here. $3.25 million divided between 30,000 potential tenants is just over $100 per person-- hardly a significant compensation for over ten years of being overcharged. If, in fact, all reasonable claims of abuse are addressed and compensated, though, this could easily mushroom into a settlement of tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars.

Given the fact that it involves Kushner, I wouldn’t be surprised if it grows to a multibillion dollar settlement once all of the abuses are revealed. This is, after all, a family that’s famous for elevating fraud and abuse to levels rarely seen before in history.

44 Likes

What they said -

in a [statement to the Baltimore Banner]“Westminster is pleased to have settled this litigation with no admission of liability or wrongdoing. We look forward to moving past this matter so that we can focus on our ever-expanding real estate portfolio.”

What they meant - ‘we love the poor, they’re so easy to cheat and take advantage of.’

25 Likes

Question for you, Jared. Are renters as human as migrants?

28 Likes

I posted this on the Clemente story also - probably a bad choice
completely OT, but I am out of my mind upset about this

The Arizona Republic

Arizona’s 1864 law banning abortion in most circumstances in effect, judge rules

An over century-old Arizona law that bans abortions in nearly all circumstances can again be enforced after a judge lifted an injunction.

A Ducey appointed judge and our completely unlikable and asinine AG Brnovich have managed to make a law written in 1864 current law regarding abortion in AZ. Any healthcare provider who provides abortion or otherwise aids is subject to 2-5 years in jail. There are zero exceptions except for the life of the mother. As any medical person knows, that is a huge and easily disputed condition that will simply make sure most providers will do nothing even when the mother’s health is being threatened.

Excerpts
The basic provisions of the law were first codified by the first territorial Legislature of Arizona in 1864: It mandates two to five years in prison for anyone who provides an abortion or the means for an abortion. The state adopted the law with streamlined language in 1901; it remains on the books today as ARS 13-3603.

"We applaud the court for upholding the will of the legislature and providing clarity and uniformity on this important issue," Brnovich said in a statement Friday. "I have and will continue to protect the most vulnerable Arizonans."

Fun fact - when Brnovich talks about our most vulnerable Arizonans, he is not talking about poor women or people of color or undocumented aliens - he is talking about fetuses.

The 1864 law was in effect for much of Arizona’s history, and numerous doctors and amateur abortionists went to prison after convictions for violating it.

A companion law also adopted in the 19th century said a woman could face at least one year in prison for obtaining an abortion. That was repealed only last year, though it’s unclear if any woman served time for it. Congress granted statehood to Arizona in 1912.

As I have noted here before, my wife worked part time in an abortion clinic for a decade and a half (80s and 90s) through all of the craziness and violence of Operation Rescue. Many times I guided her through hostile and scary crowds of zealots to her job. To see what has just happened, I can only keep hoping that this will put some Democrats over the top here. It is discouraging right down to our souls, but maybe something positive will come of it.

The AZ Republicans are completely nuts here and unbelievably cruel in their piety.

40 Likes

Oh noes

Now he has only $1,996,750,000 left of that Saudi money.

How will he ever survive???

38 Likes

Cold Comfort Capitalism.

“Westminster is pleased to have settled this litigation with no admission of liability or wrongdoing. We look forward to moving past this matter so that we can focus on our ever-expanding real estate portfolio.”

22 Likes

Haven’t I been saying this for years now? Beautiful state run largely by really dumb and nasty people.

BTW, they must really want to put themselves more deeply in the hole on Nov 8th.

26 Likes

I’m glad some small measure of justice has been achieved. I remember reading about this case and just being so depressed at the continuing exploitation of the vulnerable.

I often don’t have much to say about Pro Publica articles, but I’m always glad I’ve read them.

21 Likes

Hey what’s $3.25 mil when your buddies give you $2Billion.

9 Likes

The $1 billion prepaid rent he got from Qatar will help cushion the blow.

10 Likes

No admission of liability = we were liable.

20 Likes

Fun fact - when Brnovich talks about our most vulnerable Arizonans, he is not talking about poor women or people of color or undocumented aliens - he is talking about fetuses.

Of course, fetuses can’t talk back, or say they don’t actually need saving, or say that the “help” you’re offering isn’t the help they need, or point out how you are complicit in the problem you’re “solving”. Nope they stay silent and let your aura of heroism shine undimmed.

Exploiting the vulnerable because they don’t have the power to fight back seems very much on-topic with the discussion of Kushner’s crimes.

Thanks for sharing and I hope we can keep the house and get a real majority in the senate, so we can codify Roe nationally and really protect the most vulnerable Arizonans.

21 Likes

Speaking of “blow”, NOAA has Tropical Storm Ian becoming Hurricane Ian and making landfall north of Tampa on the West Coast of Florida.
Yesterday’s European model was further east but no update yet.

13 Likes

38 Likes

OT: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/money-behind-january-6-flowing-2022-elections

10 Likes

A couple of things:

1. fetuses are easy to use as innocent victims, even though so many of them don’t make it without any outside help
  2. the hypocrisy of all these males determining what woman can do, not do, have done to them, not have done to them
  3. how update is AZ’s maternal and infant mortality rate reports
23 Likes

A sentiment that many would echo in these days of growing inequality: a modicum of justice, a quantum of equity if you please.

It is no longer conspiracy theory or paranoia to imagine the game is rigged and it is poisoning our polity.

ETA: on a purely personal note, the main thing I think when I see Jared Kushner is, “ah now that’s a definite backpfeifengesicht right there; truly irresistible”

20 Likes

What’s great about it that Biden isn’t the one behind this, because he has respected the compartmentalization of the DOJ. He’s busy trying to support Ukraine while keeping Putin from nuking Kiev. But it is happening anyway because the legal system pursues fraud, conspiracy, and espionage as a matter of course.

19 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available