Koch Network Has A New Plan For 2024: Any (Republican) But Trump

Americans for Prosperity — the fundraising network that forms a key part of the conservative billionaire Charles Koch’s political influence operation — is suggesting that it won’t be supporting former President Donald Trump in the 2024 Republican presidential primaries, saying it will throw its weight behind a candidate “who can lead our country forward, and who can win.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1447293
1 Like

“Man proposes, Allah disposes.”

5 Likes

Any Republican except Trump, unless of course it’s Trump.
I’m pretty sure Koch will support even the lowest form of any Republican, again.

25 Likes

Well said, that’s the concise version. The memo was very carefully worded to allow an escape hatch for supporting Trump if he wins the primary, because they didn’t mention him by name.

13 Likes

John Kasich, Peter Meijer, Adam Kinsinger, Liz Cheney?

5 Likes

“Man plots and Allah plots and Allah is the better plotter”

4 Likes

To me Koch is a real-life version of a Bond villain. The film versions are cartoonish, but the real-life versions do just as much harm to society.

20 Likes

Nah, I want them to keep nominating the very worst candidates. I would expect the Defeated Former (Twice-Impeached) President may be busy in courtrooms for the next few years.

6 Likes

By the way, an interesting wrinkle in this story is that Trump’s 757 “Trump Force One” was refurbished with a new engine and repainted at a facility in Louisiana owned by the Koch organization.

I don’t know if that was a freebie or he got a discount, but that’s some behind-the-scenes support for Trump that belies what’s said in the memo. There’s a reason the plane was refurbished there instead of somewhere else.

Trump hasn’t been flying it because it’s a horrendously expensive thing to travel in as campaign prop compared to his Citation bizjet, but it might be used later if he can hang on long enough in the primary. Last I heard, it’s currently parked at the West Palm Beach airport near MAL.

10 Likes

Another one of those names that the majority of Americans could not tell you much about who has probably had an inordinate impact on their lives.

5 Likes

When are people like the Kochs going to recognize the fact that the economy (their main focus) does better under Democrats than under Republicans.

15 Likes

So they give money to a bunch of other R’s. Those R’s being typically macho, alpha, dominant, manly R’s will be too afraid to attack Donald Trump and instead decide the ‘smart play’ is to attack the other candidates to whittle it down to just ‘me and Trump’. And so we end up with Trump as the nominee and Koch goes right back to giving him lots of money.

8 Likes

The uber-wealthy tend to do really well when the hoi polloi and the general economy are hurting. They scoop up billions in investments for pennies on the dollar. (see sales of banks, etc. during 2008 crash.)

14 Likes

They don’t care about the economy as a whole. Where did you get that notion from? All they care about is maximizing corporate profits with as little accountability for how it’s done as possible. Who cares if everyone else goes broke? If that happens, they know the government will give them all the money they need to maintain and increase their ownership and power.

14 Likes
3 Likes

That’s a demonstrable fact. Then why do the wealthy – with some exceptions – support the GOP?
Gotta be two things: Cut their taxes. Cut regulations including those for health and safety.

11 Likes

Too radical, and damaged goods.
This will be tricky for Republican operations, they need someone who hasn’t pissed off a lot people that don’t reside in the state that the candidate is from. And the issues that they want to run on don’t play well with a national electorate.

3 Likes

I hope the West PB airport is getting their rent money promptly. :grin:

5 Likes

Since Trump, with Koch’s support, has damaged our Country to the extent that he is not needed the Koch’s are looking for a kinder gentler anti American to replace him.

6 Likes

For the Republican Party the Koch Network is in my view its biggest problem.

That is the real problem the Republican Party has is that its economic policies are to redistribute wealth to the maximum extent possible to the richest 0.1% many of whom are not even Americans. It is this economic message why Koch Industries is willing to spend hundreds of millions to support Republicans.

The unpopularity of this economic message forces the GOP to rely on one issue voters like race above all, but also misogyny, xenophobia and religious bigotry. That is it is the economic message that has resulted in Donald Trump controlling the Republican Party.

So the GOP establishment’s anything but Trump stance actually helps Trump with the base of the GOP. Furthermore, if Koch really cared about the GOP he would support moderating the economic message which of course he will never do.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available