Key Nebraska Sen Rebuffs MAGA Attempt To Coax Him Into Depriving Harris Of Likely Electoral Vote

Originally published at: Key Nebraska Sen Rebuffs MAGA Attempt To Coax Him Into Depriving Harris Of Likely Electoral Vote - TPM – Talking Points Memo

It’s becoming a theme: Donald Trump’s efforts to steal an election are quashed by the bravery of a few non-MAGA Republicans. Into Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger’s (R) shoes stepped Nebraska Sen. Mike McDonnell (R) Monday, who said in a statement first reported by the Nebraska Examiner that he would not withdraw his support…

Probably not first, so here’s a photo of my goofball.

40 Likes

So now will Trump turn to trying to split the electoral votes in light blue states so he can pick up a few more there?

7 Likes

Something to notice about the NYT Arizona poll released today showing Trump up 50-45 over Harris. That same poll showed 58% of the voters were supporting the abortion rights amendment. So according to the NYT 13% of the voters for the abortion rights amendment are not supporting Harris. And about 10% of the voters for the abortion rights amendment are supporting Trump.

That discordance is mathematically possible but strange. As Josh Marshall states in his editor’s column, the NYT has a different turnout model apparently than other polls. I am also guessing that the turnout model being used by the NYT does not admit any advantage for new young voters nor extra-turnout for those coming to vote for the abortion amendment.

In fact one can ask, is the turnout model being used by the NYT for Harris the same turnout model that the NYT used for Biden? Inertia and consistency would imply that they have not changed their turnout model.

20 Likes

At this point I’d be surprised if he didn’t try.

5 Likes

I think the GOP controls the legistatures in CO, NH, and WI, all of which are going blue. Carve out the right districts, and voilà!

5 Likes

Why the long face?

I know my way out. Take care of your servers. :v:

14 Likes

It is not strange at all and drives home a problem with abortion rights amendments. Those amendments allow Republican voters and especially White women to keep abortion legal in their states and still vote for Republicans.

7 Likes

Is he stupid or does he think Americans are stupid?

21 Likes

Anybody else have a hankering to visit Nebraska? I’m a lifelong Jersey boy, who’s lived a bit in both NH and MD. And all my US vacations have been in New England or on the West coast (I won’t count an awful trip to TN and vacations at my aunt and uncle’s house in St. Pete) . Why am I suddenly fascinated by Nebraska?! Especially the blue dot? Any other coasters feel this way?

8 Likes

Except for a small area in the north known as the Nebraska panhandle, it is the most boring state I ever drove through. It is mile after mile of flat cornfields.

7 Likes

Lols. That’s what my dad said about his and my mother’s cross country trip in the early ‘70s. Part of me wonders, can it really be that boring? Sounds like the opposite of New Jersey (maybe that’s why Springsteen made an album called Nebraska? I confess I never heard it.)

4 Likes

Omaha may surprise you: FIne city, pretty country, big river, nice folks mostly.

18 Likes

This is why I think the polling models are wrong and drastically undercutting Harris voters. But…

• I’m a optimist.
  • I have zero data to back up my thinking.
  • There is more than a month until election day.

The reason is that every election since Dobbs has been over-the-top in favor of democrats, even when abortion wasn’t on the ballot (the missing 2022 red wave, Andy Beshear reelection). Pollsters radically missed the support for dems in our most recent elections, whether it was due to turnout or younger voters.

Either way, there is work to be done to impress on people they need to register and vote.

16 Likes

It’s going on my to-visit list (I loathe the term “bucket”). The few people I’ve known from Nebraska were friendly and low-key. Nice city with good restaurants - yet way different from NJ? I’m down.

5 Likes

Someone wanted to be the cool kid and bought a Tesla, it took him 750 miles before he got tired at people looking at him and shaking their heads…

14 Likes

Both. He’s a loser who lucked out with his fake memoir, lost all that baby fat and discovered eyeliner. He thinks he’s something he’s not.

13 Likes

The cybertruck is still fugly AF, but it actually looks slightly better with a color. I believe Desi Lydic on TDS referred to it as “the offspring of a Delorean that smoked during pregnancy.”

11 Likes

Not to mention (as others have pointed out, so I knew to look for it) that he’s holding a TWO-AND-A-HALF DOZEN (24 6x5=30) egg carton!?!

(Was he born stupid or did he study? :thinking: :roll_eyes: )

16 Likes

I don’t know why Skanky, Wanky, the Family and the RNC are spending so much of their capital on this loser move with so little upside. There many better ways. The most efficient way to rig the presidential election is via a coup like the January 6 Coup and Assault on the Capitol. The next best option is to rig the vote count at the state or level by adding one or more zeroes or other digits.

1 Like