Kari Lake’s Default Judgment Request In Defamation Suit Borrows From MAGA Playbook - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Last week, election denier and failed Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake announced that she would not defend her statements in a months-long defamation suit brought against her by Maricopa County recorder Stephen Richer.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1484895
17 Likes

Lake’s strategy to not defend herself from defamation charges seems like a gambit to me. The Judge should question her under oath as to why a trial on the merits should not continue.

16 Likes

I think for people who are paying attention and are willing to look at the evidence…

…none of whom were Lake supporters in the first place.

Election denialism goes hand-in-hand with judicial denialism. The only honest elections are the ones I win. The only honest court cases are the ones I win. Everything else is deep state Jewish space laser stuff.

15 Likes

PlaintiffRicher’s allegations include facts supporting a punitive damages award. There is no reason why plaintiff should be stopped from doing discovery on the degree of Lake’s evil mind and evil deeds to allow the jury to make an informed punitive damages award.

36 Likes

This will make for excellent ads for her opponent in November. “Kari Lake admits she lied.” Etc.with quotes from the legal hearings.

15 Likes

Like Donald Trump, Kari Lake is a loser.

15 Likes

So, since we already know that she’s never going to come up with the amount of the judgement, couldn’t we at least show who pays her legal bills?

14 Likes

In Kari’s case she is a deliberate and willful failure. It seems to me apparent why she was “shown the door” at her right wing TV hostess gig in Phoenix. Her right wing co-workers just could not stand her. On camera they had to play nice but off camera?? So having had a lotta face time on the tube she thought politics would be a breeze. WRONG.

10 Likes

Not a lawyer but the only thing she will be able to appeal would be the $$$$$$ assessed as damages, right?

3 Likes

Gauze and vaseline can only soften the hard edges so much. After that, one needs a powerful sander with some industrial-grade diamond sand paper to smooth it out.

8 Likes

Once the determination of dollar damages are settled, Lake will declare bankruptcy and avoid accountability for the lies. The only thing that will prevent these lying assholes from continuing this crap is to throw there asses in jail.

9 Likes

…so if the liability costs outweigh the fundraising gain, that might prevent her and others from continuing to lie.

So the only question left is how much is Ms. Crazypants gonna have to pay for her lies???

7 Likes

if the liability costs outweigh the fundraising gain, that might prevent her and others from continuing to lie.

Money is not speech.

Put speech back in representative government.

1 Like

All the illegal immigrant voters, voted for Kari Lake. More precisely, all the American businessmen who employ all the illegal voters, forged their illegal workers’ illegal mail ballots, using the same stolen identities they used to launder their illegal hiring practices. And the illegal rightist American businessmen all forged all their illegal workers’ illegal ballots, for Kari Lake.

2 Likes

Welcome. You will add value to our discussions.

6 Likes

Seems to me she will follow her idol and delay, delay till after the election. Maybe change of lawyer?

2 Likes

I don’t mind saying I made these exact same points last week as soon as Cruella ‘surrendered’ in court. I noted she ran right to creating an outrage video claiming she would never stop fighting (she surrendered) and that her version of ‘fighting’ was slanderous lies that endangered other people (she claimed these same people were trying to put her, her husband, and her children penniless and living on the street). Because, her MAGAts would see the outrage video, but not see the real news that she went down in utter failure.

The next day she ran straight to Bannon’s podcast and whipped up another dozen crazy conspiracy theories which would reverberate in the RW echo chamber. Because she’s a media creature and nothing is quite grooved like pathological manipulators and their MAGAt hordes. Made for one another.

I also brought up the points about how these MAGAt manipulators and election deniers were slowly being held to account. Yes, their schtick works but on fewer and fewer people. The reality cannot be wholly avoided. Their money is being wasted. People grow tired of their futile and damaging behavior. The people who aren’t utterly crazy start to drift away. The frenzy that gripped and emboldened so many of them in late 2020 has ebbed. Chump, the entire govt, military, LE, and justice system aren’t handing out freebies and pardons now. Real consequences…although too often trivial…have been visited upon many of them. The wind was at their back for a time and although the danger hasn’t evaporated, the field has shifted.

13 Likes

Money, including the “shortage of cash flow” mentioned in the FEC filing, left the Arizona GOP trailing the Democrats by a large margin in fundraising last year.

In March, however, Swoboda, told television station KPHO, “The fundraising’s going well. I have no concerns.”

Asked by KPHO about the committee’s first-quarter FEC report, which will be made public soon and will show specific fundraising numbers, Swoboda said, “You’re gonna have to wait and see.”

7 Likes

Defamation damages generally are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available