Judge Smacks Down DOJ Role In Defending Trump From Rape Claim | Talking Points Memo

YEEK!!! that could be interpreted all sort of ways.

4 Likes

Yeah, 61 page decision on a pretty no-brainer issue, he (and/or his clerk) are expecting an appeal.

9 Likes

Trump will now demand CIA wet work against the judge, starting with his goldfish.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s Justice Handmaiden sir!

2 Likes

So, anything the POTUS does is under his official duties by this reasoning,

The same people who claim Pompeo was not acting in an official capacity when he gave an RNC speech while on an overseas trip.

Barrā€™s only consistent when you see him as an enabler of the abuses of power by a Republican administration.

11 Likes

Letā€™s get something straight about Amy Covfefe Barrett: she is not a handmaid. She may well be a character from the Republic of Gilead, but she is a wife in that world. The handmaids were oppressed, raped regularly, and forced to bear children whether they wanted to or not. The wives were active participants in the subjugation of the handmaids and in the repression of womenā€™s rights generally.

I understand the shorthand: we canā€™t really call Amy a wife, because that doesnā€™t make the connotation at all clear. Maybe we can call her a Gilead Wife or something?

20 Likes

Justice R-GILEAD

4 Likes

Sheā€™s an Aunt. Sheā€™s going to be dolling out the punishments.

4 Likes

ā€œThe DOJ is arguing that since Trump made the comments denying her accusations ā€” considered defamatory by Carroll, and at the heart of her lawsuit ā€” as President, it should not be Trump as a private individual being sued, but Trump as an employee of the federal government. DOJ lawyers compared the situation to a mail deliverer causing a car accident on the job.ā€
ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦
I will admit the Office of President out ranks a mail carrier. But is there not ā€œequal justice under lawā€ as carved in stone at the SCOTUS??

equal-justice-under-law-300x219

Or am I hallucinating?

5 Likes

This administration is an endless series of inconsistent arguments, one-off rationalizations, and situational ā€œethics,ā€ whatever it takes to maintain authoritarian power.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s just stonemason artistic license.

10 Likes

I will never refer to Amy Covfefe Barrett with that title.

Never!

2 Likes

She definitely has a bunch of drab green dresses hanging in her closet. But I think sheā€™s now moved up from Wife to whatever position that Lydia holds.

lydia

4 Likes

Yeah, I bet they twisted their little minds into some real knots trying to come up with a ā€œlegitimateā€ argument to justify this wild-assed assertion.

Need to start with NoBarIsTooLow Barr for disbarment.

2 Likes

Itā€™s been decades since I read The Handmaidā€™s Tale (and current events would make a re-read far too painful).

Was it possible to be both a Wife and an Aunt?

3 Likes

Too complicated for my small brain. Iā€™ll just call her Barrett.

I could easily manage not calling her Justice Barrett. Itā€™s a title I have refused to apply to several others in her position.

8 Likes

Donā€™t be too sure. Barrett once reversed a multi-million dollar settlement, in a case in which a prison guard repeatedly raped an inmate, because rape is outside the [scope of his employment]. Trumpā€™s alleged rape is also outside of the scope of his government employment.

9 Likes

Iā€™d rather not refer to the creature at all, and if it were in my power Iā€™d send her back to the black lagoon from whence she emerged.

Maybe I can call her The Justice Who Should Not Have Been Named? Or, The Trumpanzeeā€™s Revenge is possible and pithier. (I hope to live long enough to pith on both their graves.)

6 Likes

"by authorizing lawsuits that could involve review of the presidentā€™s job performance,ā€

6-3. Thereā€™s nothing the GOP would like more than people suing a Dem POTUS into oblivion.

5 Likes

Youā€™re thinking like a businessman, not a conman. His marks are the base, not the banks.

The day that he is out of office, he will file the papers to run for the 2024 election, and he will once again be collecting hundreds of millions of dollars in ā€œcampaignā€ cash to pay all the essential lawyers and to keep his properties afloat. Eventually, of course, the whole sham will collapse and the remaining assets will all have to be sold. But that is, in the main, the next generationā€™s problem.

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available