Judge Restrains Feds From Targeting Portland Journos, Legal Observers | Talking Points Memo

A federal judge on Thursday temporarily restrained federal agents in Portland from arresting or targeting journalists and legal observers, writing that absent a court order, law enforcement would “continue to target” them.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1322208

Hoist.

1 Like

Perfectly appropriate ruling, and as expected.

What I want to see though is local police, or if necessary state police arresting anyone who is assaulting anyone off federal property. The feds have no legal rights to touch anyone off federal property, and if they do they need to be arrested on the spot and charged with assault and battery.

A few arrests of trump’s goons and this will quickly end.

Everyone is looking back to the civil rights cases, but there the Feds were enforcing federal court orders. Here there are no court orders, and no federal law being applied.

Put another way, the feds can arrest someone tossing a rock from this street (Oregon) onto the court (federal property), but they can’t legally push protestors off state property, let alone assault them to try to make them disperse, as they are not enforcing any federal law or court ruling in doing so.

16 Likes

On a parallel thread, a twitter message purportedly showing that the TRO was disregarded yesterday was posted.

7 Likes

John Yoo will draft a position document arguing that the secret police squads can preemptively arrest the judge on the presumption that the ruling will be found to be invalid and to have further supported unrest and speech of a dissenting nature that impedes federal forces.

8 Likes

It’s a start toward the return of law and order–REAL law and order.

4 Likes

I am looking forward for next AG to prosecute the DHS goons that participated in this riot, and dissolve the Agency if the union gets in the way.

11 Likes

How is it possible to have a restraining order against something that is clearly illegal in the first place?
Like issuing a restraining order against me saying I can’t rob a bank?

3 Likes

We ought to point out that these are Communist tactics, copying the takeover of Hong Kong.

Calling this repressive illegal “police” action fascist has no impact on the right wing malignancies boo-hooing over their paranoid fantastical antifa.

These are tactics out of Xi’s Communist totalitarian playbook.
Trump is a “Chicom” copycat.

9 Likes

It had to be Yoo.

15 Likes

Violation of a preliminary injunction (or TRO, temporary restraining order) results in an issuance of an OSC (order to show cause) re: contempt.

(Difference between TRO, preliminary injunction, and permanent injunction is when they are issued and their duration. TRO is issued in emergency situations and lasts short time, and court usually sets hearing date for application for temporary injunction when issuing. Preliminary injunction is issued after hearing and required showing and generally lasts until trial. Permanent injunction is issued after trial if plaintiff wins on that issue.)

4 Likes

… and render him to an undisclosed location in a Middle Eastern country for appropriate interrogation involving water and boards until he reveals everything about his colleagues who similarly hate America.

This is horrific!

1 Like

There should be preventive detention for all of the GOP storm troopers.

2 Likes

Trump will appeal this, and in the meantime issue his own “stay” of this order and tell these storm troopers to proceed as before. He’s flouted past court rulings and I don’t see why he wouldn’t here too, e.g. detentions, deportations, separation. He knows that neither the courts nor congress have the actual ability to stop him from violating the law. It’ll be up to local and state forces to literally confront these thugs and force them to stand down. Which he knows and wants, because it’ll allow him to declare an Antifa/BLM “civil war” on law and order. This is going to escalate and get much worse, I fear, and it’s going to turn some voters against Dems (but they probably wouldn’t have voted Dem anyway).

1 Like

Court rulings are meaningless to Trump and Barr’s DOJ. When the executive branch chooses to ignore laws there seems to be nothing in our system to rectify that. And state/local police will do nothing since they appear to be just another branch of Trump’s campaign (and they are still butt hurt about not being worshipped adequately).

1 Like

Absolutely. As the DA in Philly and the State’s Attorney in Baltimore have promised to do, local DAs need to arrest and charge Trumpcops when they commit crimes, as they did in beating that Navy vet in Portland last week.

4 Likes

Trump’s Thugs violates the law again…

6 Likes

Why do we have to wait for the next AG? I guess the Portland DA has his reasons for not prosecuting the Trumpthugs, but as far as I can see they’re bad reasons. He should be prosecuting them.

1 Like

These “soldiers” appear to be acting like playing paintball, but in the real world.

They need to be on notice that they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

2 Likes

Filming these goons is absolutely essential. Major networks need to be broadcasting that film around the clock. CBP right now is threatening Netflix. They were embedded on the southern border and in the detention camps, and now “Chad” doesn’t want them to release any of the footage. Small children in cages suddenly doesn’t look so flattering for some reason. The footage of peaceful protesters being thrown into an unmarked van by unidentified paramilitary forces will also be bad publicity. They can’t stand up to the scrutiny, so scrutinize the hell out of them on every channel!

8 Likes