Judge Allows Heavily Redacted Release Of Mar-a-Lago Affidavit - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Was that sent to you was a Word document, where you can just unclick the redactions to see the words underneath?

10 Likes

There it is in black and white. What more could you want?

11 Likes

Our images of Trump are becoming more that of a master criminal who wishes to evade prosecution. We have all seen the movies…and some result in justice and some do not.

The GOP knows who and what Trump is.

Always have.

12 Likes

Trump is…

guilty…

as we don’t know what.

24 Likes

To paraphrase Churchill, “Some foot, some dragging.”

1 Like

It’s all they have.

4 Likes

Being a blockhead?

4 Likes

Molari to Vir: “You moon-faced assassin of joy!”

12 Likes

Hillbilly elegy for sure.

4 Likes

My bet is this Judge is caving to the threats the MAGATs are throwing at him and his family and is trying to protect himself. This ruling breaks precedence and will be appealed no matter what his final decision is. Sadly the media has become the enemy of fair justice. I don’t buy the argument that Trump is special, he is no different than you or I. I wonder if the plan is to run this through Appeals all the way to the Supreme Court giving DOJ time to complete the investigation while the document is sealed?

6 Likes

Let’s have a look at that old affidavit:

Man … Woman … Person … Camera … Box of Classified Materials … Ok. Got it.

20 Likes

I vaguely recall FOIA releases of the information in the Russia investigation looking just like that.

4 Likes

He’s terrific.

6 Likes

Redact everything except the section headings.

1. There Is Probable Cause to Prove That Donald Trump Removed Government Documents in Violation of 18 U.S.C. § 793.

2. There Is Probable Cause to Prove That Donald Trump Violated the Espionage Act by Refusing to Return National Defense Information to Its Lawsful Custodians.

3. There Is Probable Cause to Prove That Donald Trump Obstructed Justice By Concealing Government Records From Investigators.

4. There Is Probable Cause to Prove That Evidence of Each of the Foregoing Crimes Is Located at Mar-A-Lago.

63 Likes

This triggers a couple of thoughts.

1. So much for keeping this particular controversy out of the mid-term elections. The engine on the speculation machine is going to burn out.

2. Wonder whether it’s more or less likely that misleading Giuliani-edited CCTV footage of the search will dribble out (before) (after) (if and when) the redacted version is released.

My head aches.

5 Likes

25 Likes

What’s probable:

DOJ will redact the affidavit to the point of incomprehensibility, the judge will not completely agree, and there will be significant delay while an appeal is taken.

What’s unclear:

Whether the judge will release the DOJ-redacted version while the appeal is ongoing. If I were the judge, I would. If only to give the media lawyers a more even field for arguing that the redactions are excessive.

6 Likes

So redact sources and methods and leave in more about the docs. We don’t need the nuclear secrets - we just need to see that there are nuclear secrets. Then leave in who was going in and out of the storage room that forced them to move for the warrant.

5 Likes

Thanks for this. In the final analysis this goes back to the Law and its power against a mobster like Trump. The Law has only its advocates and practitioners. Human beings charged with working on its behalf

I must say that Trump begging to make his own Law should be alarming to every American not under his spell.

17 Likes
19 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available