Judge Allows Heavily Redacted Release Of Mar-a-Lago Affidavit - TPM – Talking Points Memo

A federal magistrate ordered the Justice Department to unseal portions of the affidavit that led to the FBI searches of Mar-a-Lago last week.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1429527

Furst…

Almost like the judge wants to release enough info to show he had no choice but to grant the warrant.

69 Likes

Careful what you wish for, Trumpsters.

Cue goalpost moving in 3… 2… 1…

73 Likes

This is the right decision given the foot-dragging DoJ when it comes to actually charging anyone in Trump’s orbit, no matter how vile and obvious their crimes.

If DoJ was on the verge of getting indictments, I could understand a delay in releasing anything. But I’m hopeful that very damning information in the affidavit about Trump and his obstruction of access to these documents, and whatever they can tell the public generally about the type of material they knew was at MAL to justify the search warrant – redacting details in the warrrant with non-declarative characterizations – so that the piublic knows that justice is being served and that Trump has been committing crimes with probably cause.

6 Likes
21 Likes

Should be interesting to see what’s left.

12 Likes

“The —— when —— he —— Mar-a-Lago —— source —— classified —— refused —— national security”

59 Likes

prosecutors have until next Thursday at noon to provide proposed redactions

I hope the prosecutors ask themselves, what would billybarr do?

31 Likes

Perhaps the unredacted word “Trump” will show up once or twice in every other line.

He’d like that.

ETA: One thing for sure - if it reveals too much, he’ll complain that he’s being unfairly persecuted.

If it’s heavily redacted and reveals very little, he’ll complain that he’s being unfairly persecuted.

66 Likes

What it does is eliminate the bloviating commensurate with a hard no .

31 Likes

Reinhart has faced a wave of threats and harassment campaigns from Trump’s supporters

More hate from Trump’s supporters.

17 Likes

Donnie is an unprofessional, corrupt idiot. His lawyers are unprofessional, corrupt idiots. They are all drunk on media attention, but remain as idiots. ETTD.

27 Likes

Um, there is this.

27 Likes

Josh M. has good news about J.D. Vance’s prospects, that is they’re down.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/republicans-assumed-the-midterms-were-a-mere-formality/sharetoken/GSZSJHkN2xVj

38 Likes

I have a bad feeling about this. This is not the right thing to do. I know there’s a public interest angle, but it’s also ‘the people’ that the DOJ is representing when it investigates and prosecutes someone.

Also, too: no matter how much you disclose, it will never be enough. They will never accept what you release. Just look at how they acted when DOJ allowed the release of the search warrant. That just gave them more fodder to get angry over and now here we are possibly releasing the Affidavit (albeit redacted).

The judge has to realize he is trying to negotiate with terrorists. TFG’s supporters are basically terrorists (they’re already threatening the judge) and you can’t negotiate with crazy. Perhaps the judge thinks they will leave him alone if he does this, but they won’t. They just won’t.

70 Likes

You write my kind of posts, in both content and vocabulary, thanks!

14 Likes

Political wire comment.

68 Likes

Pardon my French, but what’s the goddamn point of doing this? They already admit that they don’t know if it will be “meaningful for the public or the media” to see this, and we know it wouldn’t matter for the right wing if they released the complete unredacted version (“Yeah? Where’s the long-form affidavit, huh?”).

So why break precedent and legal procedure - to appease the lunatics threatening the judge? As if that would stop one bit of the abuse. Stop acquiescing to these POS bastards already, and start prosecuting them!

41 Likes

I sure hope Brucey isn’t doing this out of fear for his life.

3 Likes

You gonna take that comedy routine on the road? :roll_eyes:

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available