Jon Tester Will Determine The Country's Fate For The Next Four Years

Originally published at: Jon Tester Will Determine The Country’s Fate For The Next Four Years

For Democrats to maintain Senate control, Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) needs to win reelection in a state Donald Trump won by 16.4 percentage points in 2020.  That brutal reality is reflective of the vicious Senate map Democrats were handed this year in a chamber already tilted against them. After Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D-WV) retirement, Republicans…

2 Likes

Jon Tester is a terrific Democrat and -Heaven help us!- we’ve never needed him more. Throw’em a buck if you can.

45 Likes

We’ve donated to Tester, and keeping his seat is important. However, the headline for this piece is alarmist. Dems have a shot at flipping FL and TX senate seats; an independent has a good chance at unseating a Nebraska Rep. How about: “John Tester MAY determine, etc.”?

32 Likes

Here, this makes it easy…

17 Likes

It sounds from this as if ticket-splitting isn’t so much becoming less common as changing its shape:

in other red states, voters have consistently demonstrated their comfort with the cognitive dissonance of voting for abortion rights and Republican lawmakers who oppose them on the same ballot.

(Also shows the tribal loyalty thing: “I oppose all of the policies you support, and I will vote for you nonetheless because of the letter in front of your name on the ballot.”)

24 Likes

Yeah I’ve given to Tester too. And to the candidate who is striving to unseat Ted Cruz. But the implacable national logic is, if the democrats are able to take the Texas senate seat, then there will have been a goodly Blue Wave, and Harris will be president, and we will have the house and senate too. Let’s hope & keep giving. But long term, we need to address the need for pumping more and more money into elections. (And reverse Citizens United.)

26 Likes

Just did.

My main contributions have been to Harris, for obvious reasons, but Tester is a hero.

But if someone has and could post links for donating to Brown,
the D candidates from Maryland, Nevada, as well as Florida and Texas
that would be great. These are the essential Senate races that are on the cusp. Am I missing any?

13 Likes

Or make a generic blue senate donation and let them allocate it where needed

ETA: that last link splits your donation evenly among 20 Senate candidates; the next may have a more sophisticated allocation strategy (but I don’t really know)

15 Likes

Thanks for posting Sherrod Brown link. Just pitched in.

14 Likes

Good luck to you Senator Tester!

G’mornin’ all…
I will be voting for Rubin Gallego for the Senate and Raul Grijalva (AZ district 7) for the House. Dist. 7 is a lock for Dems

25 Likes

And, just a shout out for HOUSE races. Someone mentioned PA-07 yesterday, in one of the threads, so I looked up that district & gave to that democratic incumbent who seems to be in a toss-up race. Nobody can give to every vulnerable house race, but every little helps.

15 Likes

How are the numbers looking for Gallego?
Has there been a reputable poll recently?

3 Likes

Abortion is legal until viability in Montana. I think the state would like to keep it that way - and that’s a reason to keep Tester in the Senate.

30 Likes

Via 538…
Numbers vary between 15+ for Gallego to 5+ for Gallego. As of Aug 26th thru Aug31. Number range is for 2 different sources. I think it is Gallego by 5-6 points minimum. And remember that AZ is a red state in that both chambers of our legislature have been GOP since 1969.

14 Likes

Do you see any chance of that changing any time soon?

4 Likes

Trump: I learned about trucks by talking to them. In five minutes I knew as much as I’m going to have to know to make decisions that are going to be Earth shattering for transportation, for moving cargo and moving a lot of other things.
… … … …
I guess trucks spoke donnie’s lingo.

13 Likes

Done

1 Like

Agreed. I respect Kate’s reporting and analysis (always), but whoever is the weekend TPM front-page headlines editor is out over their skis on this one.

I’m profoundly absent any on-the-ground knowledge of Montana, but the factoid above suggests that the Harris/Walz campaign could markedly help raise Tester’s boat–even if he’s (understandably) keeping the campaign at arm’s length. If reproductive rights supporters turn out in larger-than-expected numbers, that helps Tester, regardless.

15 Likes

Also done.

3 Likes

Flippage is quite close. And it would be locally earth shattering… 1-2 seats in our state senate and 3-5 in our state House.

13 Likes