Jan. 6 Investigation Committee To Seek Phone Records, Including Those Of Lawmakers

The House select committee on investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection will request phone records of various people, including members of Congress, committee chair Bennie Thompson (D-MS) confirmed on Monday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1385561

They’re coming for you, Gym Jordan…

One ringy-dingy too many with Hair Furor.

78 Likes

This is the best news I’ve heard in weeks.

60 Likes

it’s several hundred people that make up the list of people we are planning to contact

Best start flppin’ morons, too late and you’ll be screwed

41 Likes

…and Mo Brooks. And Lauren Boebert. And Paul Gosar. And Marjorie Taylor Greene.

And Matt Gaetz (but for different reasons).

49 Likes

Every GOP lawmaker will litigate to the hilt all attempts to gain access to their phone records. And they may very well have success in doing so.

8 Likes

Such delightful news!

12 Likes

Matt Gaetz? That’s just a minor issue, in comparison.

35 Likes

Good! Great! Wonderful! Expose the seditionists within!

24 Likes

I’ll bet Gym Jordan’s arm pits are far sweatier than usual. Probably could grow mushrooms in there.

21 Likes

The heavy sweating isn’t in the House gym.

6 Likes

Not necessarily. Phone company records aren’t audio recordings, just metadata with the date, time, and length of the call, the numbers involved, and probably the GPS location. McCarthy has already said he talked to the President, so there’s no reason to block access to metadata unless he’s hiding other calls. Same with Jordan and others who have already said they talked with Trump or anyone else.

All this does is give the committee a foundation to ask questions about what was said at X day and time. There are many ways the respondent can duck that, including “I don’t recall.” Which I think we’re going to hear frequently.

65 Likes

And Matt Gaetz (but for different reasons).

Nah, just more reasons.

What kind of scum sucking bottom-dweller does one have to be to be guilty of both treason and paedophilia‽

27 Likes

The House select committee on investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection will request phone records of various people, including members of Congress

The committee is seeking voluntary compliance from the companies, according to Thompson, and will not immediately issue subpoenas.

For consumption only.

3 Likes

He who rats first rats best.

23 Likes

I was about to disagree . . . and then I saw what you did there.

23 Likes

Ooh, ooh, I know.

A Republican?

39 Likes

About time! I would have thought that getting phone records from people who had already reported that they spoke with (that former guy) would have been Task 1. And, insofar as “no recordings of the actual calls” go, the Committee should contact the NSA. Also, the Israelis – they’re supposed to be the US’s best friend, right? Right??

12 Likes

Well, this is quite a bit of news. Now if incriminating evidence were found on the same day that, for example, it’s reported that Gym Jordan slams his nipples in a door, I will surely celebrate.

9 Likes

If they were smart, the dems would offer to voluntarily hand theirs over, and then ask just what it is their GQP colleagues are so sweaty about? After all, they don’t have anything to hide, do they?

17 Likes