Jan. 6 Investigation Committee To Seek Phone Records, Including Those Of Lawmakers

Gym is innocent. He was just on the phone with LL Bean, ordering extra shirtsleeves to roll up.

11 Likes

The committee is seeking voluntary compliance from the companies, according to Thompson, and will not immediately issue subpoenas.

Whether or not the companies comply with these “requests”, that information is not public, nor is the list of people whose phone records have been targetted. So those people testifying before the committee won’t know what the committee has got, especially because the only republicans on the committee are (presumably) not quislings. Yet another way Qevin screwed up by pulling his nominations.

47 Likes

Putin would be the reliable source for audio recordings, but good luck with that subpoena.

On a more serious note, it would be interesting to know if the NSA records audio from the phones of the President and Congress critters, but we’ll never know, and I suspect it’s something they’d want to avoid. No national security interest there.

7 Likes

“A gracious good morning to you”

30 Likes

I suspect just damn near everybody who had any 15 year olds on their tech teams WAS listening in real time to TFG .

2 Likes

The folks squealing the most about not wanting their phone records scrutinized are telling folks (with open minds) that they have stuff to hide.

Not that inference or appearance of conflict, let alone smoking gun facts would have any impact on Red Rubes and elected Rs.

20 Likes

By their outraged squawks ye shall know them.

41 Likes

That’s one way to look at it, but it could also be that they’re idiots and don’t know that the phone companies don’t record audio data. At least not without a court-ordered subpoena for a wiretap, and we’re past the window of opportunity for that.

Of course we’ll also get performative objections about “Privacy!” and “Freedumb!” from people like Boebert if they’re on the list.

13 Likes

Depends on who they’re asking. For example, if they have info that shows that Hawley was talking to the leader of the Proud Boys who is facing 20 years for conspiracy, they could put said PB on the stand, and he may have an incentive to tell what the discussion was about. If there’s any corroborating testimony or evidence, it could get hot for Hawley.

27 Likes

We’ll get that whether or not she’s on the list. Then she and boebert will do a fund-raising event where they shoot their phones.

22 Likes

I dont think any phone company is going to hand over a record of a sitting Congressperson without a subpoena so I guestion this move. What the hell are they thinking?

1 Like

I still can’t wrap my head around what Donnie and Associates fanatasized the end game would be.
Right where we are now had to be where the smart money was.
In and of itself, the complete absence of good sense in this coup plot is jaw dropping.

21 Likes

I’m not sure spilling beans to congress gets one anything with prosecutors unless that’s spelled out in a plea deal. Relying on prosecutors’ goodwill is a poor strategy.

6 Likes

I wonder if Boebert or MTG made contact with anyone during the assault. You know, to pass along where Nancy was or even Pence, perhaps?

26 Likes

One critter was live-tweeting their location, though I forget the details.

19 Likes

I am pretty sure it was Boebert was actually tweeting where Pelosi was live, in a way that could have helped people in real time make assumptions about where she could be found. I can’t swear they were intended that way, maliciously and with intent to inform the insurrectionists…but regardless they served to give some news about where Pelosi WASN’T and where she might be headed.

23 Likes

They thought they were going to win and Trump would be in office. :smirk:

15 Likes

I don’t see the problem. I mean, as the Bush assholes never grew tired of saying, “If you have nothing to hide…”

11 Likes

I am assuming that was snark because Boebert did actually text out Pelosi’s location during the insurrection.

15 Likes

I knew she was texting, but I wouldn’t put it past her to have also been calling.

18 Likes