Jan. 6 Defendants Keep Trying To Be Their Own Lawyers | Talking Points Memo

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things.

At least five people who’ve been charged with storming the Capitol on Jan. 6 have insisted on being their own lawyers in their court cases, a strategy that doesn’t seem to working out super well for them so far.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391011
1 Like

(Briefest of pauses)
“You’re the loser, I’m not the loser! I won everything!!! You’re a loser, and you only lose!!! …”

12 Likes

These people have fools for clients.

24 Likes

Colin Powell has died.

10 Likes

From Covid. And he was fully vaccinated.

10 Likes
25 Likes

Well of course they want to be their own lawyers.
To see their accusers slink away in shame-to bask in the admiring applause of fellow
patriots.
I sense a Jimmy Stewart moment.

18 Likes

And there’s this!!

29 Likes
16 Likes

Freudian slip there.

Powell was someone who had the opportunity to be a hero, and decided instead to flush his reputation very publicly down the toilet. His biographies will always mention that.

I think that that’s true of all of the trumpanzees as well. History will remember them badly. Forever. Even with efforts to rehabilitate them (“he didn’t really fiddle while Rome burned”), Nero and Caligula are still seen as monsters 2000 years later.

26 Likes

100%

3 Likes

Perhaps she’s been a little milquetoast for their tastes. I’m sure she’ll step it up a notch.

8 Likes

Note to insurrectionists: Agreeing to represent yourself in court is a trick–the government is getting you to recognize the proceedings as legitimate.

36 Likes

Edit: already posted

:scream:

You know, I remember that fleeting, almost euphoric feeling of relief when I got the first jab way back last spring.

Then came the delta variant.

15 Likes

Yep. It’s still spreading and still deadly.

8 Likes

Powell’s testimony in support of there being weapons of mass destruction in Iraq was a lesson to everyone: be skeptical about what they tell you, and ask people up and down the information chain what they truly believe, and the basis for it. The intelligence community was infected by groupthink, unfortunately, and seemed to believe what they fed to Powell.

15 Likes

Well, hell – if you can hit teh Googles and become an epidemiologist, why should you pay for fancy lawyering?

21 Likes

I was going to be a bit somber and more appreciative of the gravitas.

But…

First Rumsfeld, now Powell. Cheney should look out, guess Biden wasn’t joking about making sure we don’t get into Forever Wars again.

11 Likes

Millionaire Manchin Demands Low Income Cap For Child Tax Credit | Crooks and Liars

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available