Jan. 6 Committee Obtains Draft Trump-Era Order Laying Out Plan To Seize Voting Machines | Talking Points Memo

…concerning foreign election interference as potential legal grounds for seizing voting machines.

Republicans in Congress:
“While it may be unorthodox, there is a possible reason why a president may need to prepare for that contingency, especially a president who knows the threat of our foreign enemies better than any president in history.”

Donald Trump:
“And they let you!”

1 Like

I thought Mitch was great in that movie  ; - )

I am a bad boy. I am a bad boy. I am a bad boy.

1 Like

Watergate was small potatoes compared to this.

3 Likes

My parents bought their first TV to watch the hearings.

(Up to that time, “no TV in this house until everyone in school makes all A’s.” Later, my mom got hooked into reruns of Star Trek and Brother Cadfael on PBS.)

4 Likes

Do better than this.

I’m with you. She is a willing participant in the destruction of our democracy.

1 Like

Hey, I was reading about this stuff this morning and saw some information that speaks to this. It seems Tish James, the state AG, is pursuing a civil case into the variable property valuations, while Alvin Bragg, the Manhattan (technically “New York County”) AG is investigating it as a criminal matter. The hurdle there is higher, because to make it fly you have to somehow prove that Trump knowingly and willfully did that for his own financial advantage. So has he ever admitted it? Will someone testify to that? Can it be proven otherwise? So that moved me toward a slightly better understanding of that facet and I thought you’d be interested.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks, Matt.

ETA: The Atlanta DA’s grand jury over DT’s attempted Georgia election fraud is gonna be LIT if she manages to get one seated.

1 Like

Yep. This is the one I want to see break first.

2 Likes

Since Trump had already fired Chris Krebs for declaring the election secure and Antrim County Michigan had acknowledged and explained the error, he would have had a hard time convincing people that voting machines needed to be seized. Dominion would have torched his ass.

I would expect the Secret Service has been taping every utterance in the Oval office since audio tape was invented. And that they seriously upgraded after 1974 so that they catch even fly farts.

1 Like

Mail in ballots are the answer, not more machines. In Colorado almost all ballots are sent out by mail and returned by mail or into drop boxes.

2 Likes

In Virginia many of the “spoiled” ballots that can’t be scanned are still counted. They’re counted by hand as long as the voter’s intention is clear. The decision to include or exclude every hand counted ballot is done by a committee that includes Republicans, Democrats, and Independents when they’re available. Very few ballots are excluded, and the decision to exclude any of them is not taken lightly.

ETA: you are correct in stating that hand counting ballots is tedious. It’s doable, but it’s not easy.

3 Likes

Also true in Wisconsin. When I was doing the ballot scan for mail-ins in Wisconsin, a failed ballot would be run through the machine several times. After continued failures, the ballot would put aside to be manually tabulated. I think out of the 1600 or so that I scanned, there were fewer than 20 that required manual attention.

2 Likes

That’s progress, moving along from “some of my best friends are negroes”.

OK, we all knew he wanted to do this and was talked out of it by one or 2 sane voices in the WH, but honestly, isn’t the fact that he didn’t do it a point of defense for him?

Hell, if there’s that much corruption in the electoral system, it could be done with paper ballots, too: just have millions of fake pre-voted ballots ready to replace the real ones. Or just fake the count and don’t even bother actually counting the ballots. You know, like Vladimir does, and his buddies in Belarus.

1 Like

Duh. Worked for Biden.

What are you talking about? At 50¢ a pop, we’d be able to retire the public debt within a year and never have to pay interest on government loans ever again. (Yeah, I know the math doesn’t work, but the concept is valid)

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, we’ve had that app for years. Unfortunately it relies on poll workers updating the info, and when they are busy, they often don’t bother. It’s good to get a general sense of where to go or at least when the busy times are. Being able to vote at any location is great, we just need more locations during early voting!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available