Jan. 6 Committee: Meadows’ Book May Undermine His Executive Privilege Claims | Talking Points Memo

Jan. 6 committee members on Thursday told Politico that former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows may have poked holes in his argument for withholding his contacts with former President Trump on the day of the deadly Capitol insurrection by revealing selected details in his book set to be released next week.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1396855
1 Like

Jan. 6 Committee: Meadows’ Book May Underminebus His Executive Privilege Claims

FIFY!

22 Likes

“…So, it’d be very difficult for him to maintain ‘I can’t speak about events to you, but I can speak about them in my book,’” Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), one of the panel’s nine members, told Politico.

Actually, I don’t think that it would be difficult at all for Meadows. Remember, this is the guy who referred to a passage from his own book as “fake news.”

36 Likes

These geniuses can’t get out of their own way.

19 Likes

These peeps are in waaaaay over their heads.

17 Likes

Straight out the box with no instructions…

23 Likes

Meadows wrote that the former president “knew as well as anyone that we couldn’t organize a trip like that on such short notice.”

Correct. That’s why he had been planning it several days ahead of time.

30 Likes

The Trump jaunt from Lafayette Park to St. John’s Church for the bible photo-op had no planning at all, apparently, otherwise Milley and Esper would not have participated in it. When Milley realized what he had been roped into, he bailed out.

25 Likes

Yeah, he just ain’t that bright.

16 Likes

“It’s … very possible that by discussing the events of Jan. 6 in his book, if he does that, he’s waiving any claim of privilege.”

Meadows will pull a Lin Wood and claim that he didn’t write the book and that somebody put his name on it without his permission.

20 Likes

In an excerpt of the book obtained by The Guardian, Meadows claimed Trump told him he was “speaking metaphorically” when he told supporters on Jan. 6 that he planned to march with them to the Capitol. Meadows wrote that the former president “knew as well as anyone that we couldn’t organize a trip like that on such short notice.”

Trump knew exactly what he was doing. By “speaking metaphorically” he means lying to his stupid base who took him at his word, and now face serious charges.

But they should have known bunker baby wasn’t about to put himself out by walking to the Capitol.

22 Likes

In an excerpt of the book obtained by The Guardian, Meadows claimed Trump told him he was “speaking metaphorically” when he told supporters on Jan. 6 that he planned to march with them to the Capitol.

I don’t think Trump has the word “metaphorically” in his vocabulary.

25 Likes

“Your royalties, sir.”
“Thank you very much!”

12 Likes

But, that would have been only their 2,753rd clue that they were being played for suckers by Chiselin’ Trump.

12 Likes

It all did seem to work better for them when they were inside pissing out.

14 Likes

I wonder who Meadows’ attorney George Terwilliger resembles more: Bob or Cecil?

download

10 Likes

I guess self-owns are far less rare than self-burns.

2 Likes

Again, I’m no lawyer, but in regards to Clark pleading the fifth, my considered opinion is if you take a high level position of public trust -such as a top level position at DoJ - then the public interest in knowing what you did in their name far outweighs any claims of possible incrimination. I think as citizens we have an absolute right to know what shenanigans Clark was involved in in cahoots with Trump. I may as well add both men swore an oath to protect and preserve the Constitution. If they failed in their duties, we have a right to know.

22 Likes

The 5th amendment makes no such exceptions. All you can do is fire the guy from any position of trust.

12 Likes

Yeah, I know it doesn’t and there’s nothing to be done. I just think it should because these types of public servants should be held to the highest standard. No one forced him to take that position or made Trump run for President.

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available