James Murdoch Resigns From News Corp Board

I confess I always liked that song.

I always felt he was not as bloodthirsty as Daddy or evidently, Lachlan but then what on earth would I know???

That’s one way to put it.

The Stones actually wrote another way of putting, which is much closer to Jerry Hall’s trajectory. (Written long before she showed up in their orbit).

She is a beautiful woman. But a crappy actress, and beyond being with Mick Jagger, she would have faded into obscurity long ago. The security and fidelity you claim she is seeking can probably just as easily be said as “an old guy that she doesn’t have to be a whore for in the bedroom, and gets to inherit a global fortune when he dies and live like she already has until then”. That phrasing would be much more in keeping with Jerry Hall’s past.

I would never call you clueless. But it was a great cold open, because it literally played upon what Jerry Hall was trying to push for years up till that moment, unabashedly…for Mick to put a ring on her finger.

Oh, and for the record…literally her record:

"Their relationship was shrouded in drama from day one. The pair met around 1976, when both parties were otherwise involved — Jagger with then-wife Bianca, and Hall with then-fiancé Bryan Ferry. Jagger invited Hall and Ferry, a fellow musician, over for dinner in London one night. “Bryan was flattered by Mick’s attention, but he could also see that Mick was smitten with me. It couldn’t have been nice for him,” Hall wrote in her 2010 coffee table book-cum-autobiography Jerry Hall: My Life in Pictures . According to People , Hall and Jagger’s relationship overlapped a bit with the end of Jagger’s marriage in 1978.”

So its not like she didn’t know he fooled around while married…

Give me Bryan Ferry any day. Jagger was so overrated.

2 Likes

I don’t know if Mick Jagger married himself, if he did only partially. Mick Jagger Is a brilliant musician/entertainer, And Bianca’s biggest performance is Riding into Studio 54 on a white horse.

2 Likes

In the 70s?

Jagger had a fuck load more money (he was actually always pretty savvy on how the band’s money got spent), and equally a hell of lot more star power.

Jerry did what Jerry does…she dumped Bryan and went after the money and fame.

But, just to underline the point that she knew what she was getting into, take a look at Some Girls.

Jagger wrote a number of songs to Bianca…Miss You, Lies, Respectable and Beast of Burdern. And wrote a number of songs about fooling around…Some Girls, Far-away Eyes, Just My Imagination(cover, but not about Jerry). Indeed the album is often presented as Jagger trying to “work through” his divorce.

But despite fooling around with her pretty seriously for two years, there is not a single song you can say “Oh yeah, that’s definitely about Jerry”. Indeed, you’d be hard pressed to point to a single song in his entire catalog that fits that definition. But there a LOTS of songs about fooling around.

Mick fooled around with LOTS of girls (and at least one boy, if you believe the David Bowie rumors). But he only had a handful of LTRs…Marianne Faithful, Bianca, Jerry and L’wren Scott. He had a son with Marsha Hunt, but there were together for a year, tops. LGB is correct…he was with Carla Bruni and Luciana Giminez (who he had a son with) quite publicly while with/married to Jerry, who he had 4 children with. But none of those relationships lasted more than a couple of years.(Giminez was the straw that broke Jerry’s back…the son did it for her). He also had a son with Melanie Hamrick after Scott, but that relationship only lasted a couple of years. (Mick has had a LOT of children).

That was the running line, for most of their “romance” and up through the marriage. Because they looked so much alike, and it was pretty much the height of Jagger’s narcissistic phase (though some will say he never got out of that, and I don’t think they are wrong, but that was definitely the high water mark).

I thought about the looks thing but it seemed too obvious. And BTW Jerry Hall was
a Supermodel.

2 Likes
6 Likes

A very fine person, no doubt.

2 Likes

I know.

I said she was and is a physically beautiful woman. But she was an absolute disaster as an actress.

The Stones never lacked from a continual following of beautiful women.

1 Like

That seems to be an edited version of an Peter Maass article published earlier by The Intercept.

This is the other version: https://theintercept.com/2019/03/30/lachlan-murdoch-fox-news/

This is interesting by Jane Mayer: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/03/11/the-making-of-the-fox-news-white-house

How can you tell the black sheep of a family full of black sheep?

Bryan Ferry sang to you personally.
Also a big fan of Roxy’s lead guitarist Phil Manzenera and his exploits with Brian Eno in 801.

Want an album a couple decades ahead of its’ time?
Find 801 Live from 1976.

2 Likes

James has been called the “liberal” Murdoch. It’s not just climate denial that irks him but the gross distortions of reality FOX pushes and the damage it’s done to America. But it doesn’t mean much. His brother is a wing nut like daddy and he’ll be the next Murdoch running the show.

2 Likes

I always thought of Bryan Ferry as a lounge lizard, but in the best way possible. A crooner.

1 Like

Chip off the old block, in other words. A sociopath just like daddy.

I’m pretty sure it was over this:
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1289246303369617408

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available