It Seems DNI Dan Coats Might Be The Next Admin Official To Go

In recent days, President Trump has been speaking with close advisers about getting rid of Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, according to Axios and CNN.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1235120
1 Like

Again, it doesn’t look like Coats is in the loop.

12 Likes

“Trump has also reportedly been talking to advisers about his interest in getting rid of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence altogether.”

44 Likes

Has there ever been an administration with more turnover than this one? We’re still only 3 years in and it seems like at least 2/3s of the people who came in at the beginning have been replaced (sometimes multiple times). I don’t have a complete view of the history of past administrations, but that seems ridiculous and just bad for the business of running a government. If the leaders of the departments are shifting every six months or a year, then it’s hard for the rank-and-file to stick with any sort of consistent vision for the office.

13 Likes

Trump has also reportedly been talking to advisers about his interest in getting rid of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence altogether.

Makes sense. If you’re going to have a director of intelligence, doesn’t your administration need some sort of intelligence to direct? :slightly_frowning_face:

19 Likes

I guess that answers the question about who watches the watchers. Just fire everyone who disagrees with yhou.

10 Likes

At least Black Sabbath sold their souls for rock 'n roll. What did Coats get?

9 Likes

I’m certainly no lover of Dan Coats, but… fitting that the would-be Dear Leader of the Banana Republic of America is himself bananas.

6 Likes

This was the begining of the end.

" Spy chief Dan Coats shoots back at Trump for refusing to side with him over Putin on election meddling

Published Mon, Jul 16 2018 3:54 PM EDTUpdated Mon, Jul 16 2018 6:55 PM EDT"

13 Likes

Denying a quorum for the 25th?

10 Likes

Quorum? Is there anyone left to turn off the lights?

17 Likes

No quorum, no quorum! Many people say it’s mean to the fish to keep them cooped up in a glass box like that. Bad pets!

9 Likes

The Brookings Institution has been tracking the turnover among Trump’s appointees. No other admininstration, at least since Reagan, is even close to Trump’s numbers at the Cabinet level; he’s had more in two and a half years than anyone else did in four. Bush the Elder had quite a bit of churn in his third and fourth years, but I think Trump can keep up the pace and take the prize not just for total turnover but for every single year.

22 Likes

Hell, worse yet, if your department has never even had a leader, your department has no guidance. This “administration” has a record number of unfilled leadership positions…

18 Likes

It wouldn’t have mattered.

That cabinet’s loyalty is a major reason for who was chosen.

15 Likes

Coats has a scintilla of personal integrity and some patriotism. I’m surprised he’s lasted this long.

15 Likes

Is that from a Bond movie??

4 Likes

Putin will take care of things.

4 Likes

Nope.

Time to make a department staffed with people whose sole job is to get fired by Trump?

3 Likes

I doubt that Rachel Maddow is even keeping track anymore.

10 Likes