‘Irresponsible Beyond Words’: Pelosi Doubles Down On Slamming GOP’s Debt Ceiling Brinksmanship | Talking Points Memo

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Sunday reiterated her criticism of Republicans’ brinksmanship on the debt ceiling amid their refusal to help their Democratic colleagues with suspending it, despite having voted to raise the debt ceiling throughout the Trump administration.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1388642

“Incomprehensible beyond words”

“The GOP are a bunch of seditious, posturing, antidemocratic, nihilistic miscreants with ambitions of pryomania.”

Does that help?

52 Likes

Pelosi usually says two things (at least) at once…and I say this in a good way.

24 Likes

They need to eliminate the debt ceiling altogether, and end this farce.

Otherwise Republicans are going to hang the trillions of dollars that Trump created around Democrats’ necks, which is what this theater is really all about.

25 Likes

All good words. Still doesn’t cover it, though.

8 Likes

Republicans refusing to pay Trump’s bills.
How Trumpy.

40 Likes

Whiny, petulant children are not known to be well behaved. Time for detention hall for the GQP.

Guantanamo would work…

13 Likes

If it comes down to the wire, with Republicans still refusing to do the only right and legal thing, Biden is going to have to exercise his pryesidential power to unilaterally ignore the debt-ceiling and order to Treasury to continue paying what the nation owes. As the Fourteenth Amendment orders, “the validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law,…shall not be questioned.” If Biden clearly explains this on a national broadcast, the public will support his decisive action.

And this is a moment crying out for the Senate to abolish the filibuster and repeal that stupid, unnecessary, and now dangerous 1917 law providing for periodic upping of the debt ceiling. No other advanced country has such a law. It’s nothing but an invitation to McConnell to play his vicious political games that hold us all hostage.

30 Likes

The GOP, as Josh rightly points out, is threatening the financial default of an ostensibly developed nation. They see the minor cost of perhaps $10 billion for a 3-4 week shutdown, but the costs of default could actually be much larger. Discussion of a US default also gives developing nation China cover by drawing attention away from the Evergrande collapse and China’s debt-to-GDP ratio nearly as high as that of the US. The economic analog is the Catholic plot to blow up England’s parliament in 1605. History will mostly remember the GOP effort to blow up democracy, successful or not. Maybe in some future dystopia people will burn a “Kevin” in effigy to celebrate the destructive tendencies of a political party with fireworks. Kevin McCarthy really is a “Guy.”

24 Likes

People (populations) who are essentially not cruel can and should have a collective sense of righteous anger when things are getting better. That sounds menacing but it really isn’t.

The GOP is working assiduously on enervation of our collective enthusiam.

The bills we have before Congress are transformative.

The GOP–to combat that–creates a crisis of the Debt Ceiling.

24 Likes

“Parliament in 1605”

Partisan rat Fawking

14 Likes

Fun fact: Kevin McCarthy’s first name is actually Guido.

7 Likes

Wow! Just like Guido Fawkes!
Both papist also too?

6 Likes

I wish I had the ability to stop Trump World from doing what I alluded to in my last post.

Just like guerrillas utilize their opponents’ strengths, so does Trump World

(1) Modern Communications…to spread lies
(2) Modern Systems of Justice…to take advantage of glacial legal processes
(3) Modern Capitalism…to use organs like FOX, which rake in $$$$$ for propaganda
(4) Modern heterogeneity…in which a nativist sector can declare war on other sectors

I could go on…but most of these destroyers of our way of life are NOT Godzilla-like monsters, but, rather nameless, faceless, moral-less little men working for a paycheck and making payments for household expenses and college for the kids, like men working in any industry, organization, social institution.

17 Likes

Have Texas and Florida seceded from the US, yet? Asking for Sam, my uncle, who would like to move some fence. The congressional Democratic majority would be bigger.

If Republican politicians don’t want to be part of the civilized conversation, they can get the hell out. Their states too. America, love it or get the hell out. The conservatives used to say that. So they understand. Used to be, some conservatives thought that before giving away your income (taxes) you made sure current and future obligations have been met. Not today’s Republicans.

3 Likes

Sunday drivel!

25 Likes

They can’t secede. There is no mechanism by which to do that and we fought a bloody war that settled that question. States do not have that power or authority.

16 Likes

I just fantasize about speaking that way to people who bring that up. Mostly just say it to my brother.

5 Likes

I was thinking chain gang, are there not roads that need to graveled at GITMO?

6 Likes

Meat the Press.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available