Inside George Santos’ Madcap Campaign

Profligate spending. A pile of inquiries from federal regulators about campaign finance improprieties. And a self-described “Holocaust painter” in Florida who feels betrayed. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1445125

Start the head of lettuce clock.

45 Likes

“I don’t know why we were at Il Bacco all the time,” the operative said. “It didn’t seem like we needed to be doing that.”

I know why they were at Il Bacco all the time!

Oppedisanos owned it.

50 Likes

He’ll need to be charged, arrested and convicted before Qevin Mac gives up Santos’ vote. He needs it too much to do the honorable thing.

I kill myself thinking that QMac would do something honorable.

22 Likes

It just keeps getting worse. Santos is a fraud, conman, sociopath and perhaps an addition to a federal penitentiary. But will he step down, hell no.

33 Likes

There is no way this scandal is going away since it is taking place in the number one news market in America. Meanwhile, our new Speaker of the House has this to say about George, “He has to answer to the voters,” which means that George will be in that seat for the next two years.

29 Likes

Who lasts longer, Santos or McCarthy?

32 Likes

This whole story reminds me of “The Producers.”

It’s like Santos just wanted to bring money in and spend it, knowing he would lose and all would be forgotten.

There appears to have been no thought about the kind of scrutiny he would face if he actually won.

64 Likes

This is the official postion of the GOOPs, spoken while standing on quicksand.

“This is something that’s being handled internally,” Scalise told reporters, ABC News reports. “Obviously, there were concerns about what we had heard and so we’re gonna have to sit down and talk to him about it. And that’s something that we’re going to deal with. Just like there’s a lot of other things we’re going to deal with.”

15 Likes

“I saw that on YouTube and I was like, holy shit. That’s when I thought he was a sociopath."

“That’s when I knew he was a rising star in the GOP,” Ronna Romney McDaniels said.

43 Likes

The list of things that are so wrong about Santos campaign and the obvious ‘tells’ gives insight to Republican politics.

Apparently if you can walk, talk and breathe and stick to whatever party principal your ‘audience of the day’ will listen to, you can be a candidate!

It is clear that R donors have too much money AND they are more than willing to use those funds to literally buy votes and/or a seat at some table. Ethics, morals, and up front corrupt practices be damned.

This shit didn’t start with Trump and it won’t end soon, but it really tells the story about the R’s.

And, when did ‘openly gay Brazilian immigrant’ become the decision point for selecting a candidate?

Wrong on many levels including a giant insult to the LGBTQIA+ Community.

30 Likes

But those were charming con artists, esp. Gene Wilder and his blue blanket.

11 Likes

Governor Sanders, no, not the colonel, the new gov of Arkansas, has banned the use of Latinx.

7 Likes

If Santos is sent to prison then Kevin McCarthy will have a problem. There is no law that says a Congressman has to resign if imprisoned. However, the Republican House has banned proxy voting for this session. So McCarthy won’t be able to get Santos’ vote when one of the HFC crazies calls for a new Speaker vote.

27 Likes

Trevor Potter. Remember him from the Colbert Report when Colbert showed how easy it was to set up a PAC under Citizens United and hide the donors?

The Colbert Report 's segments on “Super PACs” were recognized in 2011 with a Peabody Award for parody reporting as an “innovative means of teaching American viewers about the landmark court decision”.[7] Reflecting on the experience in 2015, Potter said, “I was his lawyer for the venture, which meant I did everything from drafting a Federal Election Commission Advisory Opinion Request to accompanying Colbert to hearings. I even figured out how to make the money “disappear” from public view when the PAC was closing. (Hint: It’s not that hard.) … The final takeaway from my work with Colbert was a sense of the enormous and detrimental impact Citizens United has had on our campaigns and elections.”[2]

47 Likes

“I loved that there would be a Republican gay congressman,” Gotesman said.

Who wants to break the news?

18 Likes

His ever changing personal history reminds me of the “Zelig”

Set in the 1920s and 1930s, the film focuses on Leonard Zelig (Woody Allen), a nondescript man who has the ability to transform his appearance to that of the people who surround him. He is first observed at a party by F. Scott Fitzgerald, who notes that Zelig related to the affluent guests in a refined Boston accent and shared their Republican sympathies, but while in the kitchen with the servants, he adopted a coarser tone and seemed to be more of a Democrat. He soon gains international fame as a “human chameleon”.

ZELIG is a 1983 American mockumentary film written and directed by Woody Allen and starring Allen and Mia Farrow. Allen plays Leonard Zelig, a nondescript enigma, who, out of his desire to fit in and be liked, takes on the characteristics of strong personalities around him. The film, presented as a documentary, recounts his intense period of celebrity in the 1920s and includes analyses from contemporary intellectuals.

11 Likes

Another lying self-righteous, self-serving fraud in the Republican Party?? I thought the party was “full up!”

6 Likes

Dueling heads of lettuce?

7 Likes

What are they going to do when they get constipated?

9 Likes