In The Winter Of Our Trump Discontent, Things Look Bleak

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482436
1 Like

78 Likes

Yea GOP voter enthusiasm
Look at vote totals, you could get more votes in a high school election
North Dakota Presidential Caucus Live Election Results 2024 (nbcnews.com)

37 Likes

Sound like anybody we know?
Netanyahu Asks to Postpone Testimonies in Corruption Trial Until After War - Israel News - Haaretz.com

82 Likes

SCOTUS decision yesterday did nothing for the Orange Blivet. No state he could win would block him from the ballot anyway.

The only way to be rid of him is to whup his ass in November. Though he should feel free to vapor-lock at any time.

79 Likes

Someone talk me off the ledge. I am emotionally fragile right now. My husband passed last November and I am still struggling with grief. I have put a whole slew of appointments for my own health on hold and now I don’t care. I just don’t care. Not sure I want to be here anymore. Please talk me off the ledge…

114 Likes

Same shit, different day

51 Likes

supremely corrupt court - ‘we know damned well who butters our bread.Sucks to be you, Democrats. Bwaaaaahahahaha…’

They couldn’t be any more gleefully ‘in your face’ about their own corruption,

31 Likes

You’re right, David.

All is lost.

I give up.

Thanks for putting me straight.

Trump is inevitable.

I’m going to vote for him.

At least then, I won’t be a loser anymore.

23 Likes

I am so sorry for your struggles. It gets better. Please revisit your appointments. Please know people care.

72 Likes

If it wasn’t clear to some before that the SC are just a bunch of partisan hacks who try to disguise themselves as somehow above partisanship… no, they are just a bunch of partisan hacks.

Even the liberal members would have gutted the plain meaning of the 14th amendment. None of them have the courage of their convictions.

16 Likes

The present Supreme Court has become as deeply corrupt as the Taney court of 1859. The results may be just as disastrous.

To underline what Kurtz said, it now appears that with the filibuster (something which doesn’t exist in the Constitution or in law, only in Senate rules) 40 out of 535 members of Congress can nullify the Constitution.

The real mystery is, how did the three Democratic-appointed justices mostly concur in this horror show? Have they been tainted by “collegiality” (which in the present context is the gateway drug to corruption)?

29 Likes

" We may look back on this late winter-that-wasn’t stretch as the low ebb in the fight for democracy … if we’re lucky."

Considering that it’s the time period during which we lost that fight, sure, low point. It’s no longer a fight to keep and defend democracy but a matter of doing whatever you can to mitigate what’s coming for yourselves and loved ones.

16 Likes

Careful. You’re projecting. You’re terrified and so anyone sober who faithfully describes the situation terrifies you so you lash out them as somehow giving up.

Courage doesn’t come from not being afraid. Courage comes from being afraid, acknowledging it, and then acting anyway according to your sense of duty/honor/morality.

40 Likes

We need the civic fabric to be tightly knit, with all of the elements of a health democracy woven together to endure and persist.

And with ~45% or more of the electorate favoring Trump, the USA is very far from being a healthy democracy. Very fucked-up, as many of us know and have known for years.

23 Likes

After doing some self-assessment, I have come to understand this about myself: I am not brave enough to punch a moose in the face.

54 Likes

Meanwhile in North Carolina this is the bigot the GOP will nominate to be their next Governor today.

22 Likes

How Was YOUR Monday?

Like being told I was about to be very slowly exsanguinated.

30 Likes

I do not care for Trump.

12 Likes

Try and remember some good times with your husband. He would not want you to be putting your own health on hold - make at least one doctor’s appointment today and come back and tell us you did so (I feel like if there’s something I don’t want to do - if I tell someone else I will then I follow thru).

We need you healthy and in the fight to make sure trump doesn’t win in November. At this point I am skipping all the poll stories.

Biden has done a lot in his three years - lots of things that people said were dead (the various infrastructure bills) and he kept pushing and they got passed. I have faith that he will be re-elected. We all must keep the faith and push back when people say he’s too old. My husband’s retort is this could be the way we get a black female president and that would be great for our country.

76 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available