‘I Set A Synagogue On Fire’: Texas Arson Suspect Wrote About Crime In Diary, Feds Say | Talking Points Memo

B average usually does it. It’s a solid school, but nobody is going to look at a resume and be, like, Texas State! To its great credit, Texas State is where Tim O’Brien (The Things They Carried, Going After Cacciato, In the Lake of the Woods) ended up heading the MFA program. Also, San Marcos is pretty nice.

8 Likes

One cannot dishonor The Glorious Leader Chairman Mao-Ze-Trump of the Communist, er, Republican Party!

You must march with the Glorious Chairman to Victory with the Glorious Cancel Culture Revolution!

Now whip out your little Red, White & Blue Books Comrades and recite those required Tweets of The Chairman’s Infallible Thoughts!

1 Like

My guess is that the journal pages were a dumb attempt to create ex post facto evidence that he’s a weirdo who claims a bunch of fantastical stuff.

I like Beto plenty well, but he’s a distinct (not insurmountable) underdog.

Probably as a mnemonic. He remembers what he was thinking as he wrote each line. So, he took notes on his crimin’, but was careful. He thinks.

1 Like

What I don’t understand is the first line: “Score $25,000$”. Did he think he was gonna get paid by someone? Or is that supposed to be $25.00, which might be the cost of the TP and the accelerant.

1 Like

If only we could apply the roach motel model to Sturgis.

2 Likes

Oh he’s a member of the Master(YOU CAN GUESS THE REST) race! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Cancel culture.

1 Like

Bate you can’t.

How many rolls of TP did he use for $25?

I assumed a package for longer initial burn time.

1 Like

LBJ’s alma mater too, wasn’t it?

2 Likes

Yeah… not sure I would associate the two… or is that disassociate…

1 Like

It was clear to me, from an accumulation of small details, that my late ex was having an affair with a guy at work (and,for the Southern Gothic twist, he was a third cousin), I confirmed it by picking the lock on her diary, which had a blow by blow recounting of their trysts…They never talk about a Man’s Intuition.
I would find out later, and confirm by the MRIs, that she had been having mini strokes, until she had a big one: and had extensive brain damage, explaining her increasingly irrational behavior. I had to forgive, well, most of it.

So she had an excuse. It still seems crazy to record all that.

2 Likes

I’m thinking they’ll piss her off and she’ll switch her affiliation to Independent then they’ll really be screwed.

Hey, a guy can dream.

2 Likes

I’m stuck on “pay cash for redacted.”

2 Likes

What’s wrong with them?

6 Likes

It’s been bugging me since yesterday but I finally got it: This note reminds me of how the show Trailer Park Boys would randomly and absurdly blur out objects on screen for no apparent reason, like the time they blurred the faces of everyone who attended a Rush concert.

5 Likes

The items in the list seem to be a mix of psychopathic pride and self loathing, and the “[redacted]” part makes me think that the writer wasn’t writing a journal but rather planting something to be found for his own purposes. It’s hard to say why he bracketed the “redacted” language. Was he trying to be funny? I think it might have been his way of bragging about it and, at the same time, thinking he could claim that it wasn’t some kind of admission since it was “redacted” (despite the “set fire to a synagogue” part).

3 Likes

'Twas, albeit differently named at the time.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available