‘I Don’t Think I’ll Ever Be Free Of This President And His Maniacal Rage,’ McCabe Says | Talking Points Memo

Don’t disagree. The question is how to do it without empowering some other part with an inordinate amount of power. If you put it in the legislative, it’s subject to the same political influences, depending on who is in power. In the Judicial, the lifetime appointment of the overseers. On its own, whomever is in charge of it would wield more power than the president or congress.

This is one of the times I really don’t have an idea of how to fix what is clearly a big fucking problem.

3 Likes

I know it’s tricky as hell. There are problems any way you turn. hahahahahaha

1 Like

Only clear solution is to simply declare @castor_troy supreme-dictator-for-life. I hear he promises to be gentle with the masses, so long as they don’t displease him.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer. I think I’d just as soon see if we can entice Lord Ventinari to leave Ankh-Morpork to be Tyrant of America.

No offense.

3 Likes

Never did get into Pratchett… Spent plenty of time in Robert Jordan’s world, though.

Worth the wander over?

“Current Dem frontrunner” to me is the day-to-day expression of a volatile situation. That’s not a thing I know about life, any more than what the weather will be tomorrow. I mean the things I’ve learned about how human life works generally militate against a Trumplike person holding power for very long. He’s too incompetent, too much of an enemy-maker, too mentally ill to judge his assets and liabilities accurately, you get the idea. He’s Dumb Macbeth. And in Macbeth it rings true that he had a good run but it would inevitably start to crumble, slowly at first and then more rapidly.

1 Like

To Pratchett? I love the man and I’m really grateful for all the fun and the joy and the laughs he has given me.

3 Likes

Yes, the man has a depth of understanding of human nature and the world in general that is hard to beat.

I’d start with Witches Abroad, personally, but that’s because I prefer the witch books. Or Good Omens, which while technically Gaiman and Pratchett, was about 90% Pratchett, according to Gaiman.

3 Likes

Yeah you can tell that when you read it.

I started with The Hogfather and it’s still one of my favorites. But it is the Christmas book so perhaps best read around then and I do quite often. hahahaha

2 Likes

We watch the movie every year at Christmas in my house.

2 Likes

Just a cautionary note: Cheney is still alive. Trump’s parents also lived to ripe old ages (93 and 85). He may be right about his “good genes,” in that respect at least.

You’d be surprised how long people can survive these days with outrageous levels of internal disease. My mother had multiple serious health problems and a long, long history of lousy lifestyle, but even when it came to multiple infections, sepsis, hospice and palliative oxygen at the end, her heart just would NOT stop beating for days and days. It was amazing.

3 Likes

Death is one of my very favorite characters.

2 Likes

She of “taxes are for the little people” fame? I didn’t and don’t have any problem with her prosecution. She was a tax cheat, period.

Martha Stewart for insider trading? There are at least arguable extenuations there.

Especially since trump’s time is quite limited due to the accelerating dementia. My guess is the RNC will try to prop him up medically until the dems have their candidate, then find someone they think will be the best to run against him. Not Pence of course.

1 Like

The average lifespan after a person is diagnosed with dementia is 8-10 years, and the usual cause of death is respiratory. Combine that with his high blood pressure, heart problems (cause of all 3 emergency trips to Walter Reed?), diet, stress level, etc. Watch the videos, he has mental brain skips, occasionally drags his right leg, hangs on to things for balance (the death grip on the podium). You’ll see pictures of him on the golf course but very few of him playing. They try to only have him in front of the cameras in the morning as sundowners is an issue. trump has access to the best medical care in the world which is why he’s lasted as long as he has, but once he hits that final slope it will be fast.

3 Likes

My point is that Trump doesn’t pay taxes either, yet he was never prosecuted. Instead, the woman who owned a competing hotel got prosecuted. Just saying, it’s weird.

1 Like

Guards! Guards! is the first book where we get to know the Patrician aka Lord Vetinari (and the City Watch).
I love them all.

1 Like

I’d be satisfied with a mild form of Bell’s Palsy. His narcissism couldn’t handle it.

1 Like

Hey, I’ll be the nation’s despot for half the amount Fat Donald is stealing : - )

1 Like

Good point, but McCabe swears on a stack of bibles that he vehemently argued against HC’s email investigation by Comey. It least the public announcements thereof. He was particularly adamant against the re-opening of the email case involving HC’s aide, since it goes against FBI policy of not commenting on investigations.

As deputy director FBI, he lost those arguments.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available