Hoyer Will Press On With Floor Vote To Strip Greene Of Committees

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) announced Wednesday afternoon that, after speaking to House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), he will push forward with a House vote that will likely strip Rep. Marjorie Greene (R-GA) of her committee assignments on Thursday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1358178
1 Like

”The resolution to strip Greene of her assignments would yank her off the committees with just a simple majority vote, which can be done without any Republicans.”

Excellent!

Now do Amendment 14, Section 3.

43 Likes

Looking forward to her humble contrition and an abandonment of her fellow travelers-

OR

An EPIC meltdown on the House floor.

I’m good either way.

30 Likes

She should be expelled and that would be best for the R brand, although doing so would demoralize most of the party’s supporters. It’s a no win situation for R. Tear.

19 Likes

I don’t give a shit! Do what is right!

10 Likes

The vote will show which GOPers endorse Greene’s insanity and which don’t. Excellent.

18 Likes

The only question left now, is whether McCarthy grows a pair, and strips her assignments himself, thus avoiding a vote which shows EVERYONE’S hand.

I know…Kevin…growing a pair…I made a funny.

19 Likes

BTW – Congress can pass a resolution by a simple majority vote that Trump is disqualified under Article 14, Section 3 from holding any office. There’s nothing in the Constitution that says how to determine someone having previously taken the oath has “engaged in insurrection or rebellion”. Since the Rs in the Senate have decided to read the Constitution as not applying to people who have left office, how can they argue that the Ds can’t read the Constitution to allow them to make that determination in regards to Trump?

5 Likes

Requires a 2/3 vote to throw her out. There’s just no way that is successful.

1 Like

That vote happens only after a vote to convict, at the Senate trial, is successful, which is a 2/3 vote.

4 Likes

Remove her from all committees.
Let her campaign/grift on that.
Let Republicans waste their money on promoting someone with zero influence inside Congress.

10 Likes

let’s hope that the motion is very emphatically framed in a way that makes it a HUGE
declaration of opposition to Bigotry, Racism, conspiracy theories and QAnon

Especially placing the whole QAnon bag of crap-ola right smack in the middle of it
…like a giant electrified “Third Rail” - either touch (embrace) it - or don’t -
and your choice will be clear & obvious & recorded for all to see!

5 Likes

While true, I do not believe there is any bar to Congress taking that up as a separate matter. Also, this offense is punishable per the Fourteenth Amendment, iirc.

9 Likes

You know, Ms. Greene, if you were willing to act like a compassionate human being instead of a space alien, things could turn on a dime. But, oh no, you’re just going to dig in with your incoherent jabberings, pay the consequences and then play the victim. Who is it she reminds me of?

12 Likes

All she would have to do is show the slightest contrition. Instead, she’ll torch her own party. And McCarthy will sit there and frown slightly and watch her do it. It’s a delightful silver lining.

7 Likes

I spoke to Leader McCarthy this morning, and it is clear there is no alternative to holding a Floor vote on the resolution to remove Rep. Greene from her committee assignments.

Tactful enough, and the meaning is obvious.

Glad that assignments is plural.

And then there’s this:

McCarthy, per Politico, even floated that she be put on another committee in lieu of the education one.

Chutzpah, desperation, or comedy?

13 Likes

Aside from @alyoshakaramazov1 response, don’t look for consistency from repubs. They’ll decide what works for them on a case by case basis. My hope is that one or all of the managers will read this line from the Constitution:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments.

That’s ALL, as in bar none, no exceptions for the official committing crimes on his way out the door, no exceptions for the cult leader who has their balls in a vice, etc.

5 Likes

I hope when taking the vote they’ll also redirect to the Jan 6 riot and MTG condoning violence against the Speaker of her own chamber.

I perceive a squishy GOP move afoot (at least among senators) to hide behind calling her “loony” or “nutty”–ie, painting her as a risible QAnon clown to avoid a more damaging and uncomfortably-close-to-home acknowledgement of her support for literal murder and sedition.

9 Likes

The news today have been a mixture of celebratory and depressing and it is 1:30 and I am out of both beer and scotch!

7 Likes

I hereby second my own motion to wallow in fragrant schadenfreude.

10 Likes