How Tea Party Budget Battles Left the National Emergency Medical Stockpile Unprepared for Coronavirus | Talking Points Memo

So true…

3 Likes

9-11 was predicted and ignored.
Covid-19 was predicted and ignored.
Everything else is just lies.
Republicans get Americans killed, this time it looks likely to run into the six figures. This is what the Dems need to run on. Definitely not that there are some good people in the GOP who will come around when Trump is gone. That is moronic. GOPers will get you killed, and not just because of their incompetence and corruption, but on purpose because they and their equally mentally deficient evil billionaire donors want you to die. Period.

7 Likes

Yes, let’s deconstruct this turd’s excuse, a repeat of one we hear after every disaster mismanagement:

“It’s really easy to second-guess and suggest we didn’t do as much,” he said. “Why didn’t we have a protocol to protect the Twin Towers? Whoever thought that was going to happen? Whoever thought Hurricane Katrina was going to occur?

It’s a good question why we didn’t protect the Twin Towers. A previous attempt had been made, and GWB had been warned of the plan but didn’t interrupt his golf game to react (seems like foreshadowing), then afterward said he didn’t think anybody thought that the Twin Towers would be attacked. The failure of the levees in New Orleans was predicted in normal review, and just prior to Katrina. GWB’s response was “I don’t think anybody anticipated the levees failing.” See, most of us don’t think about this stuff so we hold these goobers to the same standard. But there is a very important distinction between them and us: preparing for disaster ISN’T OUR JOB, it is THEIR JOB.

5 Likes

I have a different take on this piece.

It tells of a political effort that has been very successful at achieving the aims of those behind the movement.

I’ve expended as much vitriol about and toward the Tea Party and its impact as anyone, but bitching has become a luxury we can’t afford. It failed to stop the flow of body bags from 9/11, from Iraq, from school shootings, from domestic shootings, from neglected infrastructure, from rural areas with sparse healthcare and an entire country with unaffordable healthcare, from industrial pollution, from an ongoing epidemic of obesity-related disease, from greed-enabled opioid addiction, and from general incompetence in addressing needs that wont be addressed by profit-driven organizations.

We dont really need more evidence of what the problem is.

Similarly, we don’t need any more evidence that liberals in general and Democrats in particular have not learned an effective way to counter the GOP message.

Sure, we have to go all out to win the 2020 election, like every other election, but we really have to stop expecting to have consistent success when we try to rebuild a majority coalition anew for each election and we expect that superior qualifications and superior policy proposals will win.

What can we learn from the success of the Tea Party and all the other pieces of the right-wing political operations? They have been remarkably successful at driving an agenda that isn’t very popular. We can’t, and shouldn’t try to be a mirror image of the right, but we sure as hell ought to be able to figure out how to succeed with an agenda that is more popular and better at serving the needs of Americans.

7 Likes

I like to keep it simple. We should be prepared precisely because these disasters happen without warning.

We put seatbelts on, because we don’t know when an accident might happen, or what the particulars will be.

2 Likes

“”""“Rehberg said it would have been impossible to predict a public health crisis requiring a more robust stockpile, just as it would have been to predict the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks”""""

That’s what they always fall back to. “Who could have known”. That sidesteps the point in leadership. To prepare for the unknown. To be ready for the unknown. That takes prescience, reason and dedication. “don’t tread on me” is not about that. That’s a political faction just about self appeal and getting it via gut level, crude stunts and platitudes. It was inevitable that surrendering the helm of America to the trailer park crowd was going to cause problems. Stupidity can mask itself as passion and incompetence as out of the box thinking but it all comes home. We are there.

The money we’ve spent on the wars in Afghanistan , which after 20 years resulted in a “deal” with the 9/11 landlords and Iraq which after 18 has produced a Pro Iran nation that hates us would bail the USA out of COVID-19, COVID-20 and COVID-21 should they occur. The Bush tax cuts amounted to enough cash to put a ventilator in every living room in America and Trump’s Billionaire hand out enough cash to put us knee deep in N95 masks. It wasn’t “out of the box” thinking or “fiscal conservatism” that got us here. It was stupidity. Tailor made to appeal to the stupid in America.

7 Likes

Teabaggers were swine then and they remain ignorant, racist swine.

We get the government we deserve … every time.

tea

They’re in binders. Ok.

They won’t do anyone any good in binders.

They need to get on TV and run relentlessly as the ads did declaiming Obama as a Kenyan. Every day. All the time. Everywhere.

I bet we never see a one - in the interest of either comity or ‘it’s too soon’.

1 Like

They seem to have forgotten that, prior to the 9/11 attack, explosive devices were set off beneath the towers back in the early 90s.

2 Likes

And greed, lots of greed.

2 Likes

And what about the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City in 1995?

1 Like

Oh, the anti-spending zealots had even more to do with it, make no mistake. There’s considerable overlap, but the church of tax cuts had the wheel here.

1 Like

Tea Party = Kochs and their ilk. And the same suckers who worship at the golden idol Trump.

1 Like

More defendants for the upcoming Trump Pandemic Tribunals.

1 Like

Some evidence that Brazilian number are bullshit…

An aerial view of Vila Formosa cemetery in Sao Paulo yesterday…

1 Like

Coming soon to a Red State near you!

I had a friend’s husband who was there when it happened - a financial advisor on a conference in NYC at the WTC. Was pretty scary then and no one took any steps to keep it from happening again.

Unfortunately a lot of blue ones as well…

Large tents have been set up not 4 miles from where I live, fortunately they are still unoccupied…

1 Like

True fact, I just hope that the proactive steps the blue state (and occasional red state) governors and mayors are taking will keep the death toll lower. It’s easy for other countries to suppress their death tolls; that’s not going to be feasible here, even with the FOX state news network.

“Hands off my coronavirus!”

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available