How Tea Party Budget Battles Left the National Emergency Medical Stockpile Unprepared for Coronavirus | Talking Points Memo

On today’s episode of “Murder by Plutocracy”…

5 Likes

And I just got a terrifying alert on my phone: NYC seeking healthcare workers to aid in Covid crisis. I have normally gotten extreme weather warnings. Sometimes missing child alerts. But this is America now.

5 Likes

Rehberg said it would have been impossible to predict a public health crisis requiring a more robust stockpile, just as it would have been to predict the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

This is obviously a patently false statement. Humans have a long history of being hit natural disasters. Earthquakes, droughts, floods, tsunamis, and yes, pandemics. While it is true that we cannot always predict when they are going to happen, that long history of disasters has taught us be prepared at all times for when when they strike. There is no equating this to 911, and to do so is cynically dishonest. But whats new with the GOP…

11 Likes

“Rehberg said it would have been impossible to predict a public health crisis requiring a more robust stockpile, just as it would have been to predict the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.”

That is all I had to read.

14 Likes

Reberg is an ass. They did have warnings.

And a pandemic is predictable.

Austerity kills.

11 Likes

“Why didn’t we have a protocol to protect the Twin Towers? Whoever thought that was going to happen?" The malignant bad-faith denialism that’s going to get hundreds of thousand of Americans killed now descends in a straight-line from the malignant bad-faith denialism of the Bushies. Who thought 9/11 was going to happen? The CIA did, that’s who, and they told Bush, repeatedly, who told them to bugger off. Now, literally anyone who has been paying the slightest attention–for god’s sake, anyone (non-Tea Party) who saw Contagion, or read Stephen King’s The Stand, knew this current crisis was likely to happen.

The second time in 20 years that what Steve Bannon calls “flooding the zone with bullshit” has gotten thousands of Americans killed, and thrown the country and the world into a crisis. Un-fucking believable. You can’t even ask “What would it take to discredit Republicans?” They could destroy the world, and then there would be no one left to lose faith in them.

8 Likes

Anything to help the people the GOP is against.Trump just says CDC recommends that we wear face mask outside.
Trump " I won’t be doing it"

3 Likes

O/T

Video at link.

3 Likes

My Rep is Tea Party Scott Perry who you hear from every 2 years.
Other then that he spends his time hating everything.
He may be in trouble this year.

4 Likes

not to worry. they have binders and binders of self-writing truth ads. there are more and more everyday. Trump and the tunas are virtually dictating them as we speak.

2 Likes

Once again, Republicans are why we can’t have nice things.

Nice things like:
• affordable healthcare
• affordable higher education
• sense

11 Likes

Ummm…predictably?

That may be true but they are going to meet a new breed of Democrat coming back at them. There is Blood on all Republican hands now.

14 Likes

And have been working to do so for many, many years.

7 Likes

I think one of the problems these type of Republicans have is that every emergency, every outbreak of some disease, every natural disaster is all put down to the normalization of “teh gays”, the breakdown of family values, no fathers in the home ( and this is said by men who are on their 3rd wife), and then they all believe that if you accept that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior then he’ll protect the faithful. It’s so Trumpian in that they too don’t take any responsibility for what may happen, because what may happen has happened before and they were spared.

7 Likes

That’s because all those Tea Party folks are myopic.

2 Likes

It’s worse than that. They were racist and corrupt. The percent of Tea Partiers that are now Trump supporters must approach 100%.

9 Likes

And yet a lot the Tea Party Republican base are preppers and amosexuals.

7 Likes

The amount of austerity kills the most people.

4 Likes

You forgot “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available