How Many People in the U.S. Are Hospitalized With COVID-19? Who Knows? | Talking Points Memo

I’m old enough to remember when the GOP ridiculed the ACA website rollout. That really pales in comparison to this cluster f*ck transition to a contractor which I’m sure is indirectly lining the pockets of Trump. This should be all over the news.

6 Likes

Eventually. And then Trump will ultimately be proved right. These things take time.

Who knows? The medical community who talk to each other and the media.

And local citizens who have to deal with the chaos at hospitals when someone in their family needs medical attention. You can’t miss the triage tents outside the emergency rooms, having to put off needed medical tests/treatments or facing the burial of a loved one remotely.

Republicans can’t keep on pretending. Voters are fed up with all the lies. Reality is creeping up on conservatives who hate losing control.

4 Likes

But Trump can no longer cross The Borders to serve them the bills. The US is on the outside looking in to the rest of the civilized world. Republicans have made us into pariahs that nobody wants or needs.

2 Likes

Did anyone expect that the Covid-19 reporting system coming out of the Trump administration would be anything but a shit fest. He is a fascist. Trump avoids the truth and lies about EVERYTHING.

Ware a mask and practice social distancing and wash your hands often and vote.

2 Likes

Great question. I think the answer is it can’t be. Or as BillBarr would argue, “Can’t prove we are.”

1 Like

Suppression of information is the main engine of this maladministration and the NDA presidency*. That, and gathering information that can be used against perceived enemies.

4 Likes

So weird that the worst hot spots appear to be in the hottest parts of the country in the summer. It’s almost like the Trump Administration is completely full of shit.

2 Likes

Since March, the Mississippi State Department of Health has already identified 5,889 pediatric cases of COVID-19—more than the total number of polio cases that physicians diagnosed among all groups in the state during the mid-century pandemic. So far, though, MSDH has only recorded 56 hospitalizations among the state’s novel coronavirus patients who are 17 and younger.

5 Likes

Tate Reeves is in the process of destroying whole families by pushing in-person classes. It seems to be true that kids under 17 don’t get as sick as us old farts but…BUT as asymptomatic carriers they will bring this bug home with their homework. A month after schools are open and they hold in person classes there will be a strong spike in covid illness … as sure as night follows day. We saw what opening businesses did here in AZ in late March. This is not necessary and is completely avoidable.

8 Likes

The gathering, estimated by police at 17,000, included libertarians, constitutional loyalists and anti-vaccination activists. There was also a small far-right presence with some marchers carrying Germany’s black, white and red imperial flag.

5 Likes

@skeptical
People are demanding the freedom to die in the way that seems best to them. If it affected only themselves it would be one thing but in this situation their stupidity affectes innocent folk they may come into contact with. To me it is the moral equivalent of issuing pistols to everyone with the understanding they will need to shoot (randomly) one if every ten people they see be it stranger in a store, a passer by, husband, wife, son, daughter. No exceptions. One of every ten. Would they accept that?

2 Likes

Can the states have the hospitals give the data directly to state government? Then at least blue states could have good data. Red states… well, who knows. Maybe some of them might want to know the truth.

1 Like

There are some people, alas, who would be fine with that. Especially knowing (or believing) that others they don’t like would have the same requirment.

Double or triple all the numbers put out by the administration. That would be closer to reality. Skepticism has served me well.

FB_IMG_1596137412445

1 Like

My letter to the Washington Post:

“Y’all remember when the Current Occupant of the Oval Office, and “America’s Mayor”, and C.Christie, and the whole of Right Media (as reported in this paper) said that by following the advice of Science and Public Health, as opposed to brain dead border closures and other “common sense”, counterproductive but satisfyingly cruel measures, would kill us all?Right before the off year election? Ebola?
And predicted the thousands of death and the recession that didn’t happen?

The first weekend of this January, the first press reports of a new influenza like disease in the Chinese city of Wuhan appeared in the BBC, and the Asian press . My Marine buddy Harley called me, and we discussed this a possible economic problem.
By March he called it at 150K deaths of COVID19 by the end of July, passed on expert predictions. He called me yesterday crying that so many folks in his town of Toccoa,Georgia are refusing to wear a mask and acting like wearing a mask is somehow wrong,unpatriotic, and giving him grief over doing so. I mean loud, bullying, redneck abuse.
He’s a Gulf War vet, with many heath issues from his service. Family is abusing him for supporting anti pandemic measures.
His tears are for the soon to be dead, the ignorant and the innocents they will infect…
I have friends who are unfriending me (in real life) because I said COVID19 isn’t a hoax, or Chinese plot, and Dr.Fauci and science should be in charge of the effort to end the pandemic.
Herman Cain politicized his response to Covid, and didn’t wear a mask at Tulsa, choosing to be comfortable, and listen to the President. It killed him…
They are choosing Cain’s path, and doing what Cong.Gohmert has done.

We’re just old guys with Internet, and don’t see how this will get better without real leadership and now, many more inevitable deaths.”

Our decentralized system of gov’t has been helping us somewhat in this pandemic. No one that is tracking Coronavirus cases and deaths was using the CDC as the primary source. They’re getting it straight from the counties/hospitals.

1 Like

How Many People in the U.S. Are Hospitalized With COVID-19? Who Knows?

I guess if we don’t know, it isn’t happening.

Right. Of all the things that they try to hide this seems to me to be a lot more problematical than some. Hospitals know how many of their beds are in use and there is nothing keeping them from telling whomever asks.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available