How Harris Took Over The Campaign, Surged, And Still Faces A Tough Fight Against Trump 

Originally published at: How Harris Took Over The Campaign, Surged, And Still Faces A Tough Fight Against Trump

Democrats might be forgiven for experiencing a slight touch of PTSD as they watch Kamala Harris’ soaring and sudden ascent to the party’s presidential nomination seem to stall. The scene could be seen as reminiscent of Harris 2020 primary campaign, where she entered the race to great fanfare and, at one point, surged in the…

When the topic of abortion comes up Trump will say doctors are aborting children after birth. I’m hopeful this time VP Harris will call him out on his lie. Trump has spewing this BS since 2016 and never gets called out. I’m hopeful for tonight. It can only get better since the last debate.

16 Likes

A tough fight means he is going to set the benchmark for the most lies told in two minus. As a ladly, VP Harris will have to find a more civil term than “Horse shit, Donald!”

8 Likes

Our democracy is hopelessly skewed. The speaker of the house is a pastor for the church group that started the Civil War.

The party that represents 90% of the failed states in our nation are held up to be fiscally responsible, and every time they get into power they screw up so hard that the whole country is gutted.

That means our press is wholly owned or controlled by born-rich bigots and fools.

This dumb shit is essentially about children being indoctrinated into believing the creator of billions of galaxies is a buff space granddad.

We need to evolve or we will surely be damned. The churches of the Civil War now claim if you drive an electric car you’re a pedophile.

These churches need to go. A simple audit will crush them all.

11 Likes

Well, my vote is settled

11 Likes

She should hold up a finger for every lie he tells. Then, before she answers anything, say ‘that was x number of lies from a multiple bankrupt felon and adjudicated rapist who led an insurrection against our government’.

Trump’s existence at all in our politics is representative of just how deeply entwined these bigoted shits are in every level of our national life, and a direct result of the allowing of media monopolies in the heartland and unlimited money in politics.

They got what they wanted, and they will not be satisfied until they’ve rewritten the foundational documents and set the armed and disaffected against their own families.

Reformation II: Electric Boogaloo.

12 Likes

"After a turbulent rise to power, . . . "

Come on TPM. I was expecting some weird Thunderdome-style fight for the nomination, either before the convention or during. The fact that Harris consolidated power so quickly and took the country by storm indicates to me that there was very little “turbulence.”

13 Likes

Our political press corpse (sic) doesn’t want someone stable like Harris.

They want a psycho girlfriend like Trump.

Who pours acid on cars.
Abducts children.
And attacks them with kitchen knives.

They want someone who boils bunnies.

Give them someone with whom they could settle down, and it’s over – the magic is gone.

The Perpetual Georgetown Cocktail Party™ and Trump have something special.

Let’s not ruin it.

16 Likes

C’mon, man! Turn on your brain and think for yourself!
/s

4 Likes

She’s going to need many more fingers, fingers at levels no one has ever seen.

14 Likes

One of my favorite songs by Anti-Flag from many moons ago. Be sure to Google the lyrics. Very apropos.

3 Likes

I’m beginning to think that it makes more sense to have one comment board per day… a daily scrum, as it were…rather than one for each article.

And they’ll never see it coming…

Trump: “Thank you all for coming to the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. Please enjoy the Grape Flavor-Aid!”

1 Like

I have an electric car and love my 8 year old son, Ian, so I guess that makes me suspicious.

Boy Howdy, I hope they don’t look at my online posts that refers to them as fascist fucktards that want us to live in the Handmaid’s Tale but want to bar us from reading it. FSM, I’m praying your noodley appendages can touch the heads of enough independent voters to beat the Nazis again, this time at home.

4 Likes

I reject the framing of progressives vs centrists, of elite Democrats vs. populist Republicans, and the pernicious “Kamala is a cop.”

Because what is progressivism about than working for progress? And what is more progressive than justice, and equal justice under the law, especially as practiced by Harris?

And under Biden-Harris we have made significant legislative progress in labor rights, clean energy, wage gains and other areas.

And this has empowered a new generation of progressive leadership:

FTC Chair Lina Kahn is taking on Big Tech for their anti-competitive practices, and she is only 35.

Transportation Secretary Secretary Pete Buttigieg, in his 40s, is getting billions in infrastructure projects up and running, and the early 50s Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo is helping us out-compete China.

In contrast, Trump-Vance’s right-wing pseudo-populism dishonestly attempts to co-opt progressive priorities:

• feigning support for the working class via restrictions on immigration and “bloody” deportations,

• attacks on corporate power (anti-woke culture wars, trade-phobia),

• critique of ‘forever wars’ (isolationism, accommodations for Chinese expansionism and excuses for Russian adventurism).

I don’t know if the Republican Party will change in the next few years, but the challenges facing this country will change in some ways that might neutralize their arguments and put them on the defensive:

Between the tremendous public and private investments being made in our economy, there will be a greater need for skilled labor and training programs, which could somewhat counteract the rightwing hysteria over immigration and public schools, and provide opportunities for labor unions to organize and represent new classes of progressive tradespeople working on infrastructure, renewable energy, and advanced manufacturing.

The Covid pandemic is coming under control but the coming years could see a backlash to anti-abortion policies in effect in Red states, and the public health hazards those pose to the provision of quality obstetric and prenatal care, and the continuance of graduate medical training and research.

China’s and Russia’s expansionism and aggression will counteract isolationist impulses and create an urgency for closer ties, and an ongoing military buildup by the US and its allies will provide a useful framework for a new approach to globalism — and not one that seeks ever-cheaper human labor to exploit, but one that recognizes the dignity of work and upward mobility, respect for personal autonomy and national self-determination, ethical and sustainable economic activity, and a willingness to resolve conflicts peacefully and without attempts by one people to dominate another.

9 Likes

I saw somewhere that counting in twelves came from using the knuckles of the fingers to count.

Kamala ‘Knuckles’ Harris. That is a good Scottish last name too -

Heid-butt Harris I much prefer.

1 Like

the political climate and staff dynamics

An overview of two key factors. I agree they have changed very suddenly.

Don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable, but it is time to crash the Party.

Bottoms up!

3 Likes

It is of some concern that AI would be used to trawl all internet comments and identify ‘unAmericans’ who do not support Trump.

I will be waiting for them when they come, that’s for sure.

1 Like

I have to disagree with this statement:

First, IMO, it underestimates Kamala Harris, her appeal and the appeal of her message. Second, it underestimates the value of focusing on women’s reproductive rights, something I think perhaps the person making this assertion doesn’t wrap their mind around, or how Kamala Harris is uniquely positioned and willing to do so. Third, it underestimates the pragmatic value of avoiding the internecine warfare that Democrats can launch against themselves, when Kamala Harris was their best option. In other words, no, it is not all about Joe Biden.

Those points overlap in large ways, and appropriately the article was very fair and pointed these out. My point is that it appears some Democrats are still underestimating the force of Trumpism and how it has grabbed a large part of our country. This was always going to be a very difficult battle. I think President Biden and Vice President Harris get that in their bones, which also may make Vice President Kamala Harris a somewhat unique candidate.

7 Likes