House Republicans Spend Oversight Hearing Expressing Concern For Insurrectionists

During a House Oversight committee hearing Tuesday, several Republicans spent their speaking time expressing concern for a specific group of people involved in the January 6 attack: the insurrectionists themselves. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1377792

One wonders if Gosar would have the same “concern” if Babbitt had been a black woman.

53 Likes

Did anyone expect anything different from the Rs?

If they took any of this seriously, then they would have to admit it was an insurrection.

And then Trump would call them names.

I think we just redefined ‘Snowflakes’.

40 Likes

Republicans are on the wrong side of history, wrong side of justice, wrong side of decency, but, most importantly to them, on the wrong side of the American people. I’m sure many of these blowhards will survive simply because of their gerrymandered districts, but Democrats should use the Gosars of the world against all Republicans in every district across the country, as Republicans try with Pelosi, Omar, and AOC.

For this shameful performance alone, we should have a dedicated commission of the insurrection, with or without any Republicans.

40 Likes

No value adding comment to follow in 3 …3 …

FUCK THEM.

Sorry, couldn’t wait to get to 1.

16 Likes

Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) chimed in a few questions later, demanding to know who “executed Ashli Babbitt,” the Trump supporter fatally shot by police as she tried to climb through a window into the lobby leading to the House floor, where members were gathered as the insurrection began.

“Do you approve of the use of lethal force against unarmed citizens, particularly a 110-pound woman with no warning, no use of non-lethal force prior, while lying in wait?”

Hey, remember when those passengers lying in wait on United Flight 93 used lethal force with no warning to “execute” unarmed al-Qaeda tourists over Shanksville, Pennsylvania?

53 Likes

Methane snowflakes, once they melt, they’re all gas.

20 Likes

Evidently, the definition of what is “true” and “false” these days is completely dependent on whatever is useful to the republican party. There is amoral and there is immoral, and then there is the republican party, whatever that is.

15 Likes

I am pretty sure I know how he would feel about that.

11 Likes

Sadly, they are simply on their own side. Nothing else is important to them (not even the Constitution).

13 Likes

Gosar needs an intervention. Not sure by who. His family tried.

25 Likes

Who killed her?

You did, Congressman. You and all the others who, like you, recklessly and irresponsibly promoted and repeated the baseless and damnable lie that Mr. Trump won the election but that Mr. Biden and Democrats stole it from him.

By urging your fellow Americans to come to Washington to fight and somehow prevent the certification of votes and the peaceful transfer of power, you killed her and so much more.

For millions of freedom loving Americans, you killed the faith in our system upon which so much of our democracy depends.

You might not have pulled the trigger, but don’t fool yourself. You killed her.

76 Likes

And THIS is why after owning all three branches of government, the Republicans didn’t get squat done in 4 years. They are unable to actually DO THEIR JOBS.

24 Likes

I’m pretty sure Gosar, and all his reactionary cronies, know that.
Which is part of why they’re so keen on redirecting responsibility, muddying the waters about the insurrection and turning the members of the lynch mob they summoned into victims .

21 Likes

#Touristas

25 Likes

Very simple standard for the Party of Q - white makes right. Far right.

6 Likes

Golly, do you mean that a cop shot and killed a white woman who was in the process of committing a crime?? Let us hear from any of these bozos on the murder of many black people who were not committing any crime other than being black. What assholes!

23 Likes

If they think TMFWSNBN will help them, prayer is in order.

3 Likes

11 Likes

I have to look for it (McFarlane or Railton tweeted that out), but yeh, they believe that Trump is going to save em.

That belief is part of the prosecutors current attack plan ( as well the defendants sharing Trump’s notion that Biden is illegitimate).

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available