House Holds Steve Bannon In Contempt | Talking Points Memo

In a 229-202 vote, the House moved to hold Steve Bannon in criminal contempt of Congress.

The vote means that Bannon will be referred to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia for potential prosecution over defying a congressional subpoena issued by the Jan. 6 Committee.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391688

Good and it was bipartisan! Now onto DOJ.

36 Likes

Yawn. Wake me when Meek Garland stands up for democracy.

7 Likes

Send him to the showers!

2 Likes

No, that’s OK. Why don’t you just sleep through it? It’s less effort.

34 Likes

Doesn’t everyone?

3 Likes

Now Garland has to do his job and enforce it.

5 Likes

Even Gym Jordan would recoil at that image…

Momentarily.

8 Likes

“The D.C. U.S. Attorney’s Office is currently without a Senate-confirmed leader,”

Unhelpful information.
Helpful would be details on whether this lack of leadership impacts taking action against Bannon by the DOJ.

11 Likes

And the cowardly brother of Mike Pence did not vote.

32 Likes

Not having a Senate-confirmed leader was absolutely no obstacle for the Trump Administration for many, many federal departments and offices. Get the Acting DC USAG to sign whatever paperwork is necessary to start the grand jury process.

31 Likes

Profile in courage.

4 Likes

One of the next things that has to happen is the DoJ has to decide to present the case to a Grand Jury.

3 Likes

What’s keeping the DOJ from responding to Johnson’s letter. Unless the activities were in DC, is it really DOJ’s responsibility?

1 Like

I know, right? Been like 15 minutes already since the vote closed. Democracy is dead if we reach the 1/2 hour mark and Bannon’s still not yet waterboarded.

45 Likes

Count de Monet: “Bannon and the January 6 rioters were revolting.”

Louis XVI: “You said it! They stunk on ice!”

21 Likes

This has got to be a bad thing and not apt to accomplish anything.
I’m not sure why, myself, but I’m counting on some naysayers to inform me why.

8 Likes

Bannon was White House chief strategist until August 2017

If Bannon claims Executive Privilege that would be an admission that TMFWWNBN was planning the insurrection for more than three years. It takes longer than I thought to arrange a show of spontaneous patriotism.

18 Likes

I guess I can give a little empathy. It’s been a really draining last few years, watching people skate for crimes left and right, even Lil’ Wayne got a pardon.

Everyone freed except Tiger King, his limo went wanting a passenger.

7 Likes

No one wants to hold him.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available