House Dems, GOP Take Stock As Impeachment Vote Looms

Party leaders in the House are keeping eagle eyes on where their members stand on impeachment as the vote next week draws closer.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1267895
1 Like

I just watched what Gym Jordan said about ā€˜not liking themā€™.

If by ā€˜themā€™ he means people who support criminal administrations, then youā€™re right, we no NOT like you.

On the other hand, I AM a registered republican. I stopped VOTING republican in 2000 after people like you robbed the democrats of an election and havenā€™t voted republican since. I have a lot of friends who voted for trump, most are horrified at what heā€™s doing. They are even more horrified by the actions of the republicans. NOT ONE plans on voting for him OR YOU again, and you know it.

So do I ā€˜hateā€™ you? Yes Gym, I hate YOU! Youā€™re destroying our republic and so help me dog, if you succeed Iā€™ll try to PERSONALLY strangle you if I ever see you in person.

I canā€™t imagine that there arenā€™t MILLIONS of us that feel the same way.

21 Likes

Donā€™t let the Gloom People dominate this thread. This is a significant time we are in, and one I would not have predicted as late as July 2019.

13 Likes

Republicans, on the other hand, seem somewhat less comfortable with their position. Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) shot off an email Wednesday night informing Republican offices that heā€™d be talking to their bosses about their impeachment vote intentions.

Oh please, GOP leaders are sleeping soundly at night knowing there will be zero. ZERO, defections on an impeachment vote, both in committee and the full House. Just as there will be zero conviction votes in the Senate. Why journos have to give credence to the idea there are Republicans with courage and a conscience is a puzzle.

8 Likes

Many of the Founders, Washington among them, were deeply concerned about parties causing great harm to the republic ā€¦ ā€œfactionalism,ā€ they sometimes called it.

It took a while, but weā€™re here. Politicians will one day be judged on how they responded. It isnā€™t looking good for many.

9 Likes

McConnell is talking of absolving trump, not just ā€œnot guiltyā€ā€¦
Fucker needs to be voted OUT. Cā€™mon Kentucky, you can do it.

5 Likes

Legacy and reputation donā€™t have the cachet they once did. All politicians care about now is the accumulation of power and money. Enough of both in their current lifetime suffices for dispatching the opinions of future generations as meaningless.

4 Likes

Judgement will be rendered well after I am dead and gone. The most destructive person aside from trump is Moscow Mitch.

4 Likes

All ya gotta do is keep the masses fat, dumb and entertained.
Independent rational thinking is now fake or illegal
What a wonderful way to start the day

3 Likes

The Senate debate or lack therof will not end the struggle to hold Trump accountable for his many crimes. If anything it amplifies and provides focus on his misdeeds now and for the forseeable future.

5 Likes

My favorite line in the film ā€œFrequencyā€ is when one of the protagonists was facing a murder charge, the evidence front and center. His friend, a policeman, said to him:

DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS?

I am beginning to wonder if most people understand what the articles of Impeachment the House is bringing out really mean.

Yeah, we got the fact that the Articles deal with what Trump has done. But, to me, the most important facet of these Articles is the fact that they expressly finger Trump for what he WILL DO.

This is a FIRST, in the annals of Impeachment.

McConnell will turtle-it-up, I knowā€¦he will protect Trump. But even Moscow McConnell cannot predict the reaction to THIS. Understand that last time, for a lot of people, Trumpā€™s cheating was under the Radar.

This time, his cheating is front and center, via Impeachment, no matter what Moscow McConnell can extract from his Caucus.

14 Likes

trump obstructed Congress. You would think that would mean something to them. But no. All that matters is reelection.

9 Likes

Any Republican who votes against Trump will lose in the primary. Hopefully a good number of them who vote for Trump will lose in the general election.

6 Likes

Iā€™m angry at the GOP for denying what is in front of their faces.

8 Likes

Itā€™s a crowded dais. Bill Barr, Betsy DeVos, Stephen Miller and Rupert Murdoch all play a huge part in damaging the lives of tens of millions of citizens.

8 Likes

I doubt many GOPers will be voted out. It just isnā€™t the way the system works.

1 Like

I really have a problem understanding the wobbly calculations of Democrats who represent red districts. A vote against impeachment will not get pro-Trump types to vote for them; will destroy the online fundraising and local field operations that propelled them to victory in 2018; and will mark them out as no more fit for office than Gym Jordan. So they will almost certainly lose in 2020. I can only assume itā€™s cowardice, not calculation.

14 Likes

What ifā€¦

• Barr is neutralized

• Things come out about the GOP

Words have power (I am saying this before being inundated by a sandstorm of incoming pessimism)

3 Likes

This could be HorseRace Spin from the article. Or it could be true. My indicator on all of this is Pelosi, who, once again, is being underestimated as being a master strategist.

3 Likes

House rethugs will votes to support the actions tRump has taken to effectively eliminate Congressā€™s Constitutional role. Then Senate rethugs will follow suit.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available