House Dems Call McCarthy’s Bluff On Committee Seats: He’s Just ‘Catering To The Most Extreme Members’

Reps. Adam Schiff (D-CA), Eric Swalwell (D-CA) and Ilhan Omar (D-MN) have all been targeted by Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) in recent weeks as the House has been working to finalize committee assignments for the 118th Congress. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1446709
1 Like

The GQP 2024 Slogan

44 Likes

Time to get ready for the Republican 24x7x365 BS machine. Dems should develop a plan before Repubs start to spread the fertilizer. Perhaps the Democrat PACs can play a part in outing Repub falsehoods. Especially those falsehoods produced by Jim Jordan’s Tin Hat Select Committee on Insurrection Protection.

20 Likes

“But the Democrats argue the Speaker’s actions targeting them is nothing more than another political calculation to cling to his power as speaker by keeping the conservative hardliners — who recently held the speakership hostage in a very public and very embarrassing days-long vote — happy.”

In other news, the sky is blue and rain is wet. Does anyone in the US who has any access to the news not know this? It’s not as though Republicans are even trying to hide their motives.

7 Likes

…Call McCarthy’s Bluff…

I dunno…they may be calling out McCarthy’s bullshit, but “calling his bluff” would be something like going into the conference chamber and sitting down in their old seats. But if I understand House rules at all, there is no bluff to be called. It’s within the majority’s power to do this hypocritical bullshit if that’s the kind of people they are (and they are). Definitely call them out on it.

I wish Democrats would be better at injecting bumper-sticker phrases into the discussion. In this case, I dunno what exactly. “McCarthy’s con-job”? I’m sure there are better phrases. But pick something like that and at every single media opportunity use that phrase. Doesn’t matter the topic. Debt ceiling fight? “This is part and parcel with the rest of McCarthy’s con-job…”. Committee assignments? “A key feature of the McCarthy con-job is to deny the opposition a voice…”

When the media-watching public hear “McCarthy” you want them to immediately finish it mentally with “con-job”.

43 Likes

One of the things favoring the Dems here is that the GOP all want to be the “gardeners” spreading the manure and they’re as likely to start spreading it on each other as on the Democrats when the infighting begins.

11 Likes

The House Select Committee on Intelligence is under the Squeaker’s Speaker’s control. He could and did remove Schiff and Swalwell all on his lonesome.

But removing Omar from her seat on Foreign Affairs will require a vote, and (this is gonna sound familiar) it’s not clear if McCarthy has the votes to do it.

25 Likes

It’s an update to their 2016 slogan: The hypocrisy just grabs you by the pussy.

17 Likes

Sorry, did you put this statement in a time machine and send it back to the 1990s?

6 Likes

As far as potential Democratic slogans go, any of these moves might be met with

• (shrug) McCarthy’s just trying to cling to power
  • Still trying to pacify the crazies
  • His circus, his monkeys

Etc.

7 Likes

Smart, as men also have throats.

The Frank Luntz is a genius I tells ya.

7 Likes

King Qevin XV will fall victim to his own overwhelming incompetence and stupidity.

13 Likes

He already has.

Has there ever been a Speaker in the history of the House who has so catastrophically pre-weakened his own position, rendering himself all but powerless even before he took the gavel?

15 Likes

Might I humbly submit: Kevin McKarthy’s Kangaroo Kongress?
(No offense meant to kangaroos)

8 Likes

Unfortunately yes, there are folks who don’t understand the machinations behind these moves. And yes these folks don’t consume a lot of mainstream news.

11 Likes

Yes if there is a just higher being, otherwise we’ll need Karma’s help.

2 Likes

Obviously those voting for the Republicans do.

1 Like

strawman, much?

1 Like

I was thinking the same. “Call out” makes sense, “call his bluff” doesn’t. Headline writer may not know what “call his bluff” means.

10 Likes

“Call his bluff” makes perfect sense: Qevin is bluffing that he has the votes to deny certain democrats seats on standing committees.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available