‘History is Made’: Top Trump Lawyers Texted Gleefully Throughout Attempt To Reverse 2020 Loss

Minutes before a violent mob smashed through barricades set up around the Capitol on Jan. 6, Trump attorney Ken Chesebro held out hope that his plan to halt certification was beginning to work. Members of Congress had objected to electors from Arizona, the first of seven swing states in which Chesebro organized slates of fake electors.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482358
1 Like

The stupid arrogant fuck is a selfie-posting walking-combover advertisement for the Dunning-Krueger Effect.

48 Likes

If Chesebro was put in stocks in the public square, I would buy the rotten tomatoes for everyone to throw at his smug, self-righteous face. He got off pretty lightly in my humble opinion. Let’s hope he gets prosecuted about lying under oath (in deposition) about his secret undisclosed Twittet-X acct.

30 Likes

Chesebro no doubt also thinks his farts smell of the finest perfume.

26 Likes

Just five days after Election Day in 2020, a conservative lawyer named Kenneth Chesebro emailed a former judge who was working for the Trump campaign in Wisconsin, James R. Troupis, pitching an idea for how to overturn the results.

Through litigation, Mr. Chesebro said, the Trump campaign could allege “various systemic abuses” and, with court proceedings pending, encourage legislatures to appoint “alternative” pro-Trump electors that could be certified instead of the Biden electors chosen by the voters.

“At minimum, with such a cloud of confusion, no votes from WI (and perhaps also MI and PA) should be counted, perhaps enough to throw the election to the House,” Mr. Chesebro wrote to Mr. Troupis, referring to the swing states of Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Mr. Troupis quickly brought Mr. Chesebro into the Trump legal team, directed him to lay out the plans in a series of memos now central to the indictment of Donald J. Trump and a month later — with the help of Reince Priebus, the former White House chief of staff — secured a meeting with Mr. Trump at the White House.

Sure seems like fodder for a RICO prosecution.

26 Likes

I wonder if the new revelations will derail any of his plea deals.

9 Likes

These two are going to the Graybar hotel, right? Please?

7 Likes

It’s not RICO. RICO is predicated on “racketeering,” and racketeering requires monetary profit being made.

It’s just a conspiracy to defraud the United States.

26 Likes

I keep thinking of Evelyn Waugh and Nathanael West. They saw how bonkers we are.

5 Likes

In another era, every one of these treasonious fucks would have been handed a blindfold and stood against a wall.

13 Likes

Chesebro is “Co-Conspirator 5” in trump’s J6 indictment. So it seems likely that he’s going to get charged after trump’s case finally goes to trial. There’s almost two years left to run on the statute of limitations.

29 Likes

Ok - so we shouldn’t hang by the neck, waiting.

2 Likes

Ahead of their scheduled trial, Chesebro and Powell lost several bids to get the case thrown out, including earlier this week. In a spate of pretrial rulings, McAfee rejected their arguments that Fulton County prosecutors misapplied Georgia’s RICO law and that the indictment failed to establish key elements of the crimes that have been charged.

8 Likes

Georgia RICO isn’t RICO.

10 Likes

So it’s like North Carolina BBQ?

20 Likes

I’d love to hear what Larry Tribe has to say about him, in private.

10 Likes

West in particular, I’d say.

2 Likes

27 Likes

That said, the word just is doing some heavy lifting in that last sentence.

3 Likes

I would guess that the Nazis in the 1930s sounded as cheerful as these assholes as they overthrew the German government and installed Hitler as dictator.

It’s really disturbing that we’re so close to putting these people right back into power, based on propaganda saying Biden is too old to run the country. I wouldn’t care if Trump was running against Roscoe P. Coltrane, there’s just no way that someone who wants to undo our democracy should be considered a candidate for the presidency. I really, really hope that we see Biden start fighting and the two debating, so the country really gets a comparison and sees how unhinged and incapable Trump is.

28 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available