High Profile DOJ Alum Push Back At Barr’s Flynn Shenanigans | Talking Points Memo

…So you’d rather that the only staff left there are sycophants willing to do any misdeed?

Please. The careerists across the government are the only reason that we’ve got any functioning government at all at this point.

22 Likes

So … do you expect Judge Sullivan to effectively ignore the pending motion?

3 Likes

His comments during the sentencing hearing were searing.

To have him totally flip it on its head now would not be in line with that. I’ll be interested to see how he handles this.

20 Likes

Stokes up the coals to fiery hot and put Barr’s fat ass on the Weber grill!

8 Likes

I read Ms. McCord’s OpEd piece today, and while it was published on the opinion pages, to me, it contained many facts. As others have noted, the ball is in Judge Sullivan’s court. I will be very interested to see how he rules. This is just the latest travesty of justice from Barr and the Orange Goon; let’s see if they get away with it.

9 Likes

Are they allowed to file amicus before the judge decides?

3 Likes

What is there to prosecute?

Flynn pleaded guilty, all that’s left is sentencing IIRC which has drug on for over a year.

10 Likes

Give him a little time—he’s been busy undermining the Constitution.

14 Likes
31 Likes

He can accede to the motion.
He can deny the motion.
He can require testimony from the DoJ to support their new claims before he renders a decision.

15 Likes

You might read the rest of my comment, which continues thus:

2 Likes

I think we will all have to wait to see how the good judge responds, but I really hope that it’s a glorious response.

18 Likes

The question is not so much what his options are. The question (to my mind) is whether the Court can exercise its power to grant leave on a basis that McCord now reveals to be fictitious, i.e., that Flynn’s lies to the FBI were not material to an ongoing investigation. It’s not even a question of lying to the Court, although obviously presenting the court with an invented set of facts raises the question of lying. It’s a question of whether the DOJ can assert that the moon is made of cheese and the Court can exercise its powers that on fictitious footing.

10 Likes

He can require testimony from the DoJ to support their new claims before he renders a decision.

Go with this and then have McCord and Kravis there to make statement’s, too. That would be high drama!

14 Likes

I doubt that anything short of a full rebellion from within the DOJ (e.g. a walkout by several thousand current DOJ prosecutors) will do anything to discourage Barr. As far as Barr is concerned, he can be as corrupt as he wants and there’s no one to stop him. Maybe he’s right. We’ll see.

9 Likes

If Sullivan requires the DOJ to explain its decision, sentencing might be delayed until February 2021 after the new AG has had a week to clean house.

3 Likes

Federal employees can’t strike. He’d love to have them do so, would fire them all for cause.

They’re doing the rebellion that they can, pulling themselves off of cases, it’s up to the politicians to correct the problem (hint: MoscowMitch won’t lift a finger).

7 Likes

Unfortunately the kind of glorious response has become progressively less likely. The judge and his family would face death threats, abuse, Republican Party pushback of a kind that would not have occurred back in 2017, say.

4 Likes

Many people say that if someone like Jeff Sessions has more integrity than you do, it’s time to resign. SAD!!

17 Likes

They won’t and it won’t matter anyway.

Barr is going to use the same approach he did with the Stone sentencing fiasco, here. Take the action, then hunker down and wait for some other shit storm to come along, and the press to move on to cover the new one.

6 Likes