Half Of Unvaccinated Workers Say They’d Rather Quit Than Get A Shot – But Real-World Data Suggest Few Are Following Through | Talking Points Memo

That’s how it looks to me, too, except add in political tribalism.

2 Likes

Yes, plus it’s by definition weird hours. Working 7:00-9:00 and 2:30-4:30 isn’t full time but also isn’t compatible with most other jobs.

1 Like

One of my daughter’s friends is a school bus driver. She’s also a bartender and is going to school part-time. Her husband retired from career Navy eighteen months ago and is working at a defense contractor now.

I guess one has to piece together a work life. But here’s what I want to know - I don’t remember any time prior to the last two to five years that there was ever a shortage of school bus drivers. Not ever. Someone correct me?

2 Likes

I think there have been local shortages every now and then. Part of the current shortage is also (I think) a longterm culmination of the outsourcing of buses to profit-making companies that go to great lengths to maximize revenues while minimizing costs. (A couple towns over there was a kerfuffle a few years back when a company won a district contract with a promise of a new bus fleet, and then it turned out that the home office had “forgotten” to order any new buses, so they might might be available the next year or the year after…)

4 Likes

They’ve had trouble out here when the oil & gas industry is doing well. A friend was a gym teacher/coach and pressure from higher-ups to get a CDL (for driving team buses) was a reason for retiring earlier than planned.

2 Likes

It’s been a consistent problem here in Seattle. We’ve outsourced the bus drivers to a private firm which can’t/won’t put together an attractive pay and benefits package.

Since the district also hires playground supervisors and such at hourly rates, one potential solution would be to package bus driving with another in-school job, which would produce a full time job that justifies including benefits. But I seem to be the only person to have thought of this.

3 Likes

Are there really so many irresponsible & ignorant people in this country or just jerks wanting to sound off about how they can do as they please?? Yes, there is something about a mandate that gets some people fired up but this sort of thing in the middle of a dangerous epidemic is so damn stupid.

1 Like

Any updates on if they did not show up?

Yes, it seems that lying to “deep state pollsters” is a thing. Might be worth bearing that in mind the next time you’re panicked by a poll saying 80% of Republicans believe Trump won.

2 Likes

Nothing much came of it. Most showed up. There were a few disruptions, but nothing big.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. That’s promising to hear.

When we have networks like FOX and numerous radio station talk shows putting out non-stop misinformation and outright lies and nonsense we are going to have a large ignorant population. I don’t know why these entities are allowed to operate. On top of these ourfits there is the internet where one can confirm whatever crap one wants to believe.

I foolishly had great hopes for the internet in the beginning as a location where one could educate oneself but it, sadly, has turned into a gushing source of pernicious lies.

I suppose if government were able to reign in all of these pernicious sources people would still find a way to get misinformation and outright lies but it would be more difficult.

3 Likes

I have no smallpox vax scar even though I have been vaccinated a number of times. Natural immunity.

Yeah. Try to imagine what the actual disease would have done to you.

1 Like

I got measles when we moved to Canada in the '40’s. Was pretty sick for a few days. No measles vaccine back then but I had been innoculated against a bunch of stuff before we moved to S. America earlier…mid forties. Innoculations are wonderful things.

3 Likes

Another reason why I don’t consider chiropractors real doctors.

1 Like

Yeah because they’re not. They aren’t even close to being MDs.

1 Like

I’ve been a guitar player for 50 years and have significant lower-back curvature as a result. My father in law was a jazz drummer and a stone mason who carried concrete block for five decades.

Both of us swore/swear by chiropractic. My $0.02.

1 Like

Sure that’s what they are good at - helping with structural issues. That’s what they study.

Would you trust your chiropractor to take out your gall bladder or a kidney or do your colonoscopy?

2 Likes

EXACTLY!

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available