Haley Loses To Trump In Home State Of South Carolina - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Nikki Haley on Saturday lost the Republican primary in her home state of South Carolina to Donald Trump, a not unexpected but still significant blow to the former governor in her effort to be seen as a viable alternative to the former president. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1481611
1 Like

She’ll do everything she said she would not. She’ll quit. She’ll endorse Trump and then say “told you so” if the man is elected.

28 Likes

Numbers? Does anybody have any NUMBERS? What the vote was, who got how many, what % have been counted?

C’mon people! Everybody knew the Defendant was going to win. That’s no surprise. Everybody knew Haley is hated in her own state.

So what numbers of votes did each get?

16 Likes

“I haven’t actually sat down and thought about what comes after that.”

She’s done. @richardinjax is correct.

12 Likes

I just check the Post. Apparently, 550 votes have been counted so far. Total.

2 Likes

CNN at the moment

Called at 2%? I realize she is going to lose, but really…

14 Likes

I’ve lost my faith in nihilism…

39 Likes

It will be interesting to see what the margin is when the final count is complete. 538 shows the difference shrinking all week to Trump +21 which is less of a slaughter than predicted previously. The shrinkage suggest Trump support is leaking which alone may encourage her but if she does even better than that she’ll probably call it a ‘win.’ Regardless she is bound to hold on until Super Tuesday where her chances look better.

22 Likes

Um, like, Duh.

79 Likes

I agree. The Associated Press is annoying in calling elections seconds after polls close. What’s the point?

4 Likes

Agreed.

At this moment

It has tightened up some. I am most interested in the final percentage of votes for Haley. That might be an indicator, again of what might happen in November.

And of course, will she flip. She would be a fool at this point to do so. One, he will own her and after a lot of her more pointed and at times factual remarks during the campaign, he will want his pound of flesh. She could take a bit of a Cheney groove and have a great time on the talk shows, but then she is not a Cheney.

15 Likes

The call is usually based on statistical projections based on where the numbers are coming in, i.e. the most populated districts. Also, early voting started November 12th, and that may also be tabulated early.

If Trump beats her by around 20 points, that will roughly conform to the polling ahead of the election.

7 Likes

If Haley continues to get more than 40% of the vote, that will be interesting. It means that, even though Trump is the presumptive nominee, a very large percentage of Republican voters would rather have another candidate. South Carolina might be Haley’s home state, but it’s Trump’s base. Getting less than 60% of the vote there is actually a big blow to him.

He’s not looking good for the general in spite of what the polls might say.

36 Likes

Maybe wait for ten percent. It sort of feels bad faith. Well the polls just closed. The counting begi… and she lost.

5 Likes

Sure they would, but they’ll never vote for a Democrat. The hope would be that at least a few of Haley’s voters would sit out the election rather than vote for Trump.

And remember, this is theoretically Haley’s best state! Her home state, where she was elected governor. It’s all downhill from here.

4 Likes

trump and Haley …as expected

2 Likes

Oh, sure. But now the score is 56 to 43%. Hardly a blowout win for the Defendant. We’ll see, eventually, what the final count is. But so far, it’s a far cry from what President Biden has been getting, and the Defendant is more than the equivalent of Biden on the Republican side: he’s literally their messiah, their great and sinful god. He ought to do more than a what? 13 point margin??

15 Likes

For me, it’s like it doesn’t exist … it’s meaningless.

20 Likes

Hey, it’s a Saturday. The really great pundits had their stories and analysis written yesterday. Print it!

5 Likes

Absolutely she will. Like all politicians she’s addicted to power and will debase herself in any way she’s told just to get a whiff of it.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available