Grassley, Johnson Push Ukraine-DNC Conspiracy Theory With Doc Demand | Talking Points Memo

Fox news report: GOP players all hit home runs.

8 Likes

Dems are playing the game as if we live in a just world that values truth and the rule of law.

Republicans are playing the game in the world that exists (and that they largely created). They know that most Americans will get their info on the impeachment hearings from short sound bites, more often on social networks than the actual news.

They are creating propaganda in plain sight, and Democrats are not effectively fighting back.

Note: Iā€™m not even criticizing the Dems for this. I donā€™t have a good idea on how they can effectively fight back. A large percentage of our population wants fascism, and Iā€™m at a loss as to what we can do about that.

10 Likes

the writer was engaged in wishful thinking. Roberts is not going to act on any ā€œinclinationsā€ (either for, or against, Trump) when he presides over a Senate Trial. He is going to act as an institutionalist ā€“ and for that reason alone, he will find a 'procedural" grounds to allow the Dems subpoenas to be issued, but not enforced.

Chief among those reasons will probably be the complete lack of any attempt by the Dems to enforce the same subpoenas when they had the opportunity to do so in the House. Roberts is likely to rule that given the seriousness and complexity of the issues involved, and given the time constraints of an impeachment trial, he is simply not in a position to rule ā€œon the flyā€.

1 Like

When we are giving more weight to the words of two bit foreign actors rather than the overwhelming majority of our own people in government, we are in serious trouble

12 Likes

Iā€™m sure you heard her reference to ā€œThe Protocols of Zion,ā€ written by the Cheka late 1800s, still in print and available on the internet. She said the Russians produced an analogous book regarding George Soros, an new version of Protocols. I didnā€™t know that, but am not shocked. Shows weā€™ve no shortage of people willing to chew, swallow and digest this conspiratorial horseshit. Anything to give structure and justification of bigotry in a world that has become so threatening to dumb, white, Fox viewers.

12 Likes

Ron Johnson and Chuck Grassley, as the saying goes, ā€œwouldnā€™t hit a piƱata with a guitarā€

1 Like

Yes, he was! Johnson, dumb as a fence post, should have stayed out of this attempt to smear the Bidens. Heā€™s a fool as any legit investigation would put him at the very center of the Trump shakedown. So, heā€™s going to uncover his own misdeeds, dumb as he is, and later say gee, I didnā€™t know this could backfire on me!

Alaā€™ Trump, now slowly recognizing that winning the presidency was the worst thing in his miserable life. The brand is trash, all his buddies are in jail or going to jail soon, his own silly words betray his foolishness in making him the laughingstock of other world leaders and their constituents. His extremely limited vocabulary, inability to even remember what he said and foolhardy tweets show just what a ignoramus with a failing memory he is.

If he was an animal, heā€™d be put out of his misery.

7 Likes

Now that all the 1984 nation states like USSR are non-existent, some have to take their place.

Welcome to 1984, Sequel 2.

3 Likes

They can effectively fight back by employing the same techniques the GOP does. The only member of the intel committee that did any serious pushback on GOP propaganda was Swalwell ā€“ he was the ONLY person who mentioned Nunesā€™ connection to Parnas, for instance. Dems should have had one or two pitbulls on that committee, pushing back vigorously on the lies and hypocrisy of the GOP reps.

Instead, just about every Dem member asked the witnesses to repeat points that had already been made (and reported on)-- usually multiple times already.

2 Likes

I am not dismayed by this at all.

The way the GOP is constructed, especially with Trump as POTUS, there is no way they could have behaved any other way.

In fact, the alacrity of Graham, then Johnson and Grassley coming out with this Rovian-tinged -with-Roy-Cohn gambit is heartening to me.

Itā€™s Intel versus Mother Goose.

7 Likes

Because honest to God itā€™s better to lie to the American public and push BS on them than own up that YOUR president is a crook and violated the Constitution. Profiles in Cowardice.

7 Likes

Indeed, your view is, sadly, equally plausible as mine. Iā€™m hoping Roberts doesnā€™t want to go down in history as a Trumpista.

4 Likes

Itā€™s that old saw about the high road. Thatā€™s what theyā€™ll want us to believe anyway.
Myself, Iā€™m not so sure if sometimes itā€™s all political theater.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Its likely that Hunter Biden is not clean. He probably was using his dadā€™s name to land job positions and salaries far in excess of what he would be able to land and earn if his last name wasnā€™t Biden. Its probably why Burisma hired Biden.

I fear that Republicans will muddy these waters to confuse the general public who are not paying close attention. This will give cover to the Republican senators. They can save Trumpā€™s hide without paying too much of a price.

5 Likes

I recall that Grassley and his employees were actively working for Russian intelligence agencies and were coordinated with them. Several news reports noted that Grassley provided Russian intelligence services access to secure communications facilities in the Senate so that Russians could rig the 2016 election vote tallies.

6 Likes

However, IMO, this pursuit of conspiracy theories by high profile senators is more than just theory. I think it points to an elephant in the roomā€¦

This whole thing with Hunter Biden cashing in on a no-work Ukrainian deal has probably been standard operating procedure for family and friends of high-ranking politicians (both parties) since forever. Right?

After the Nov Dem debate on Wednesday, it was largely unmentioned by the media what Buttigieg pointed out about wealth: That in comparison to all his fellow candidates, Forbes placed him at the bottom of a wealth list. (Notably, he being the only non-Wash DC politician.) It was a subtle but telling point he made.

Is it fair to say that once in DC, all congressional politicians somehow manage to emerge much wealthier (if not millionaires) despite a salary of roughly $174,000 per year (not to mention other bennies like savings on healthcare and fat pensions, etc.)?

What most of the media seem to ignore is that Hunter Bidenā€™s Ukraine boondoggle, while daddy was a sitting VP, does indeed stink to high heavenā€“from where I sit anyway. Why do they just brush past it?

Note that the Rs did not make any hay of it at the time it was going on, and I think itā€™s because deals like the Biden Ukraine deal are standard operating procedure in Washington.

Should the media train their focus on how legislators move seamlessly from DC into lobbying for industries they wrote laws for, or into jobs at the industries themselves, I mean make a big story out of it, this brouhaha that Johnson and Grassley are ginning up would be no surprise to anyone.

6 Likes

Is getting a job your not qualified for because your dad is famous a crime?

8 Likes

While Johnson and Grassley are doing this investigation, they should report if they find any news on Trumpā€™s M.I.A. plans to reduce the deficit, to improve health care, to rebuild the infrastructure, and to reduce dependence on fossil fuels.

7 Likes

The timing here tells all. Itā€™s a political smokescreen, announced the day after a smart CONSERVATIVE but principled woman revealed the depravity of this president before all willing to watch.

As if the likes of Johnson and Grassley care about Ukraine, except to the extent it provides political distraction.

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available