Graham’s Closing Pitch Muffled As Barrett Slips Under Radar

I’m not yet convinced that Graham is dead in the water in SC. There’re a whole lot of racists there (not pointing any fingers at anyone here) that will find it difficult to replace the ‘Southern Gentleman’ with a black man. I’d like Jaime’s win to be greater than Trump’s and no one can say for a moment that Jaime isn’t the better person of the two. But I do not trust SC to do the right thing here, which will only embolden Graham and the Right Wing to continue doing what they’re doing because, honestly, they will have gotten their mandate, should Graham be re-elected.

5 Likes

My village in northwest WI only has just under 4,000 residents. According to the town clerk, when she assigned me for e-day to help process absentee ballots, she already was in possession ten days ago of about 1,000 ballots and was expecting a couple of hundred more before 3 November.

Consider that, even at 4,000 residents - half of which are probably kids and other such, we’ve got 50% submitted already.

This isn’t going to go well for the GOP. The only way they can win it is to steal it and I’m perfectly comfortable letting them try. It’ll just show us even more who they are. I already believe them.

7 Likes

So what is anyone doing about this guy appearing in ads that shouldn’t be?

Is this just another of a string of illegal acts that no one will prosecute?

3 Likes

Or, as we say in Caribbean Spanish, the platano in his mouth…

2 Likes

I wonder why you’re asking – what can we learn from the answer? – and so, before addressing the question, I am taking some liberties!

Leaving aside for now the definition of “come to bat for,” let’s say there are two cases: YES and NO.

If YES: Do we conclude that (Y1) the family is as naïve (or as treacherous) as Ed and therefore their support for him proves nothing; or do we conclude that (Y2) they know him best and therefore, if they do support him, he may not be as bad as commonly supposed?

If NO: Do we conclude that (N1) the family is more naïve (or more treacherous) than Ed, and therefore their lack of support for him proves nothing; or do we conclude that (N2) they know him best and therefore, if they don’t support him, he must be even worse than commonly supposed?

I’ll stop there. Wouldn’t want you to say I’m over-thinking it.

1 Like

It will come down to turnout. If the Charleston shooting has left any mark, the sane residents of SC had better sieze their opportunity.

I am heartened by the fact that the Man Who Resurrected Joe Biden** (Jim Clyburn) is tutoring Harrison. So far, from what I have seen, Harrison’s messaging has been: “South Carolina and what the state needs”, which is very inclusive, given the conditions in the state.

But I agree with you: the racism is strong. That’s why a feckless person like Graham is acting the way he is (If Graham were in a Blue State he would Out-Liberal Liz Warren). He is straight up betting that racism will get him home.

For Harrison, it is ALL about turnout. Nobody stays unengaged.

**And got him to select a POC woman for VP :thinking:

Oh…and thanks for the WI voting info. We absolutely need WI

5 Likes

He didn’t go as far as to say to vote for Harrison but if it results in a few thousand less votes for Graham, it might make a difference. I don’t understand, has Dobbs been drinking with Rudy?

4 Likes

One would hope a President Biden would bestow the Medal of Freedom on Rep. Clyburn.
Just because.

Graham needs to be unemployed.

6 Likes

The size of government is immaterial.
It’s the effectiveness of government that matters.

7 Likes

I hope to be able to re-count my experience at the village hall a day or two after the election. Target has scheduled me from 8 - 5 the day after the election, so it could be difficult to get it done immediately.

4 Likes

Imagine both Graham and McConnell on the outside powerless, watching democrats respond to their unethical actions.

3 Likes

Republican Financial Review Boards to deprive Democratic administrations in Michigan cities and Puerto Rico of their sovereignty are proof that the post Reagan GOP (and FOX News, and Rush Limbaugh) never actually believed in small government. See also Donald Trump’s executive order on the federal workforce.
Small government is just one more residual Reagan Era talking point that have all been proven to have been total unadulterated bullshit. They ignorantly and gleefully bragged about drowning government like a baby in the bath tub. And made their candidates all sign the Grover Norquist pledge. But they always believed in big government.

3 Likes

Well, those “defense” budgets were a big hint.

5 Likes

Since I’m retired and on a limited budget, I had resolved to only donate $100 this year. Since it looks like there’s a chance to get rid of Graham, I gotta bump that up at least to $150.

It’s people like me that are causing Harrison to break fundraising records. I’m proud to be a part of it.

7 Likes

Thank you.

4 Likes

Beg to differ.
Effectiveness is essential, but small government cannot effectively protect anyone or anything from big business or its negative externalities.

3 Likes

Do you wonder at your agreeing with Steve Bannon?
I am curious why you think he’s right.

Big government = Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, National Labor Relations Board, Food and Drug Administration, HIPAA, Title IX, etc. etc. etc.
The “administrative state” is essentially what serves to promote the goals of the preamble to the Constitution - and that’s what Bannon et al(intellectual heirs of the John Birch Society, as well as some literal heirs) oppose.

4 Likes

I an supporting Jamie Harrison and I do not live in South Carolina. I donate to Jamie because he wants his constituents to rise up in ranks of education, increase wages, health insurance for all South Carolinians, and so much more! I want a South Carolina that increases in paying federal taxes more than they take out!

Remember, Lindsey excels when the average South Carolina citizen life is stifled by the nasty policies Lindsey promotes!

South Carolina VOTE JAMIE HARRISON FOR A BETTER FUTURE FOR ALL!!

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

6 Likes

You just inspired me to donate to Harrison and to McGrath. I will do it this weekend. Maybe even this AM.

4 Likes

There was also some blueness and swelling around his mouth. I think he fell down, and he could be on anticoagulants, or just have old, fragile skin. I’d bet on a fall down some steps. Or maybe he was assaulted by a disgruntled ignored constituent. The cause could also be age, dizziness, heart arrhythmia and a bunch of other things. The nasty old fart should however be voted out. What a traitor to democracy, power hungry, greedly bastard.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available