Graham’s Closing Pitch Muffled As Barrett Slips Under Radar

Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) was supposed to put his uncomfortably close reelection race to rest with his starring role in an October drama: the confirmation of Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1340311
2 Likes

I hope that money translates into better GOTV. I have to admit, I thought Graham was untouchable in South Carolina, but Harrison is clearly a good candidate and this might be a “perfect hurricane”…

58 Likes
35 Likes

becoming the first Senate candidate in American history to raise and spend more than $100 million. The previous record was set by Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) at $85 million (though more than $73 million of that was his own family’s money).

What was Scott’s tax right off for $73 million for a senate seat?

13 Likes

The most phony, craven, sociopathic, lying and self-serving pol in a GOP Senate, which will face a reckoning for the deaths and destruction attendant to their Impeachment vote and their refusal to provide needed COVID relief alone.

Upwards of 400,000 American deaths will be their responsibiity and the only reason that Graham is still strutting around like a little mini-rooster is related more to his single-minded ambition than anything esle

Men that fecklessly empty of honorable behavior should not be in a position of control over other people.

48 Likes

Since he stole much of it from the US government as head of a criminal enterprise, shouldn’t it already be considered taxpayer money?

24 Likes

“A little mini-rooster”
He will meet his wattleloo.

27 Likes

Sure he wanted the exposure to help his reelection but with most folks saying the nomination and especially the process is wrong I bet he is glad things are quiet.

8 Likes

This still hasn’t settled in to enough people yet, but if Trump and the GOP have truly lost the suburbs like the polls say, then a vast number of traditional Red states are very much in play.

There are simply not enough rural voters even in what we would call “rural” states to make up for losing the suburbs by double digits.

38 Likes

Pssst: Harrison’s best fundraiser is Lindsey Graham.

44 Likes

Four things I am hoping for (in no particular order)

-Trump has his ass handed to him in the Electoral College

-Mitch McConnell gets ousted from his Senate seat

-Lindsey Graham also is ejected from the Senate

-An effective vaccine is developed, soon, that is safe and very effective against covid.

57 Likes

As one of the most reviled men in America, Lindsey is quickly cementing his place in history as a spineless jellyfish of a politician who would defame his own mother for the winning vote. I wonder if he ever sees McCain’s face in his mirror looking on in disgust at what his protégé has become.

30 Likes

bragging about his efforts to ban abortions after 20 weeks

He’s the last person on earth who should have an opinion on a MEDICAL issue that exclusively relates to women. He may just as well brag about how many women who have been denied a desperately needed MEDICAL procedure he’s killed.

27 Likes

Not only that, but for in-state races (congressional districts and state legislatures), republican gerrymandering has left them seriously vulnerable to a wave election. They’ve parceled out all those exurban votes to different districts to maximize the total number of seats they get under “normal” conditions, but if the suburbs break against republicans, many of those single-digit victories become single-digit losses.

32 Likes

I’m really impressed by the Trump collapse in the southeast, especially – Biden leads in some polls in Florida and Georgia, and Dems are really moving up in Senate races in Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina. And I think it might be white suburban voters being willing to vote for African-American candidates in those Senate races that is disrupting the usually voting patterns in those states.

29 Likes

All of them rate #1 for me!!! :angry:

5 Likes

Imagine a white voter who just learns today that his/her career in the Federal Government is dependent on loyalty to Donald Trump.

17 Likes

Looking at his hands, he may not make it to election day at all.

20 Likes

I think the trouble is that we (and possibly McCain) viewed Graham as McCain’s friend/protege, when really Graham was just his lickspittle. And with McCain’s passing, Graham needed a new figure to suck up to and for reasons that are not publicly clear, chose Trump.

16 Likes

100% correct.

In addition, a true sociopath whose “word” is totally dependent on immediate self interest.

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available