GOP Sure Is Acting Like The Dog That Caught The Car - TPM – Talking Points Memo

No one really knows how the politics of abortion will play out in the brave new world of Dobbs. Not in the midterms. Certainly not long term. But early signs point to some GOP squeamishness about the impact of the Supreme Court decision on their midterm prospects.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1421624

First!

13 Likes

:red_car::poodle:

32 Likes

The GOP defensiveness manifests itself in three ways:

The next GOP offensive will manifest itself in three ways:

They’re coming after Griswold.

They’re coming after Obergefell.

They’re coming after Lawrence.

FIFY.

When in doubt double down.

26 Likes

Honestly GQP just wants to own everybody, not just the libs.
I hope the GuvNers that ban abortion with NO exception for rape, incest go down fast and hard straight to the flaming heat of hell.

Sick bastards.

45 Likes

AND NEVER, ever apologize.

17 Likes

Agree 100%.
My belief is if the Thomas family believes all abortions should be banned why have they not adopted children in need?
How have other members of the Court not have more children? Did they stop having sex?
Everything the say is bullshit.

16 Likes

Oh Looky another one , this time in virginia
“What does anti-abortion #VA7 candidate Yesli Vega have in common with the late Todd Akin? She thinks it’s harder to get pregnant from rape.” | Blue Virginia

23 Likes

For those that think American voters will make abortion an issue in November, this is just a tad chilling:

What this tells me is that, at least for this sample of Americans, this isn’t as big of a deal. And yes, I question the sample.

We will see the impact of this over the next few weeks, but I’m not charmed by thinking 52% of Americans thinking this is a backwards step is hopeful (and yes, I know the math: 52% is ‘winning’ but it should be an overwhelming win and not a pitiful one).

23 Likes

Sara SuckersBee, sigh. What a lying sack of sh!t.
Or really a lying sh!t, dressing in a sack.

14 Likes

Surely they would not be removed, but I still think a public dressing down of these justices is in order.

Can we get them disbarred at least? That wouldn’t matter to their SC membership, but it would be a solid message to a sitting justice that that outside of one building on the planet they are not allowed to practice law.

“Impeached and Disbarred Justice Kavanaugh” has a nice ring to it

29 Likes

Right-Wing Site Tweets That It’s Now Legal To Shoot Women Having Abortions | Crooks and Liars

13 Likes

2 things: 1. The hallmark of current GOP pols is that they never accept responsibility for any of the negative effects of their polices, so their failure to accept any responsibility for the damage that ending Roe. vs. Wade will cause is hardly surprising. 2. The GOP has finally handed the Dems a potent culture war weapon that favors the left. I hope the party uses it wisely.

29 Likes

Beto O’Rourke vows to repeal Texas abortion ban if elected governor - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism

33 Likes

Donald Trump’s SPAC deal took another hit Monday when it was revealed that subpoenas have been sent to every board member of Digital World Acquisition Corp., the company planning to merge with Trump’s social-media firm and take it public. In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission—which is separately investigating the merger—the blank-check company said the organization itself had also been served by a federal grand jury sitting in the Southern District of New York. The new requests for information covers some of the same documents sought by the SEC, Digital World said in its filing. Trump and Digital World announced their plan to merge and create Truth Social in October last year.

33 Likes

You win because you posted a :dog: picture!

8 Likes

Waiting to see off this is the day the corrupted court cripples the EPA…

17 Likes

Right-wing SCOTUS (I purposely refuse to use the word “conservative” in this instance) throws stare decisis to the wind in order to enact the agenda they were put on the Court to pursue.

MSM: “Democrats in disarray” in 3…2…1…

21 Likes

I actually took the time to read this dreck masquerading as journalism, I recommend that others don’t waste their time. TLDR; Wanting to retain full control of your own bodily autonomy is pro-abortion. Abortion is wrong because life begins at conception, taking away that “life” is wrong, and people only have abortions because they’re irresponsible. Everything about this word salad can fuck right off.

No one can be legally forced to give up their own bodily autonomy for the benefit of any other person, you can’t make me give blood even if it saves 1,000 lives. The pro-birthers would be apoplectic if anyone tried to impose a requirement like this in any other context, but here (because the control, rather than preservation of life, is the goal) they’re ready to willingly embrace this argument.

Forced birth is about imposing control on others and just like we need leaders who present a concrete plan for solving this travesty of justice, we need to stop letting the Christian Nationalist frame the terminology of this issue.

51 Likes

'There was violence’: Morning Joe shocked by delight Alito took in ‘radical’ ruling taking away abortion rights - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism

“That is one thing that friends of mine, pro-life friends of mine, conservative lawyers of mine, and others underlie, it wasn’t just the holding taking away a fundamental right over the past 50 years,” Scarborough said. “They found the tone to be confrontational, and anyone who has followed the Supreme Court, anyone who has read constitutional law knows that most justices, especially in landmark decisions, bend over backwards to explain how this is not a radical move, this is – we are moving forward, and we’re moving in the direction that this country has been moving in, and we understand there are problems, and they’ll round off some of the harsher edges. They will give something to their opponents, their legal or ideological opponents.”

There was none of that there," Scarborough added. “I’ve got to say, more than any Supreme Court decision I’ve ever read, it was – even the language, there was a violence to the reasoning. We win, you lose. We’re taking away these rights, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Please, if somebody disagrees with me, please let me know where a court has overruled a right that’s been in place for 50 years and done so in such an aggressive manner with absolutely no grace and absolutely no outreach to their legal or ideological opponents.”

70 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available