GOP Sens Scramble To Find Reason To Oppose IVF Bill, Warning Of An ‘Anti-Religious Agenda’

Senate Democrats are continuing their efforts to put their colleagues across the aisle on record for their unwillingness to support reproductive rights in the wake of the Supreme Court’s Dobbs ruling, which opened the door to a flood of state-level abortion bans. Last week, Democrats brought forward a bill to protect access to contraception. This week it will be a bill to protect access to in vitro fertilization.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1492171
1 Like

I don’t have a pet.

17 Likes

Well lookee what we got chea
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/12/ivf-southern-baptist-convention-evangelical-00162994

Culture warriors just can’t help themselves. Please, don’t throw us in that briar patch, Oh Holy People.

18 Likes

Here you go.

21 Likes

JFC, if you don’t believe in IVF then don’t use IVF. Somehow these Evangelicals have lost the thread that they can worship their religious doctrine as faithfully as they want. But the rest of us that don’t share their religious views have just as much right to follow our own religion, or no religion at all.

47 Likes

Maybe a plant with googly eyes? SNL skit with Christopher Walken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc7qJE9Nzo8

4 Likes

I want to see the Katie Britt “Talk Fundie” bill come up for a vote. The bill would require girls starting in kindergarten to learn fundie and become fluent in fundie before graduating high school. Boys would not be allowed to have sex with high school girls who do not speak fundie. The boys would also be required to wear spiked gloves to help encourage them to insist that their girlfriends speak fundie. Any school at any level not teaching fundie to girls would be unfundied.

8 Likes

What the fuck does that even mean?

28 Likes

14 Likes

He/she are referring to Southern Baptists and the Pope.

10 Likes

“Der Libz is gonna be forcing IVF followed by abortions on 12 year old girls just to make Jeebers angry.”

11 Likes

Just once, I’d like to see someone toy with the lives of these reprehensible GQP’ers the way they toy with their constituents and the desires of those in this country.

That there just doesn’t seem to be any accountability for these nincompoops pushing PR nonsense to try and ‘gotcha’ the other party is just no way to run a railroad, let alone a government.

22 Likes

Hypocrites.

It’s their party that wants to do away with pretty much everything having to do with having kids. Trying to run away from it had better not work in November or any other time.

12 Likes

Kellyanne wrote it and she’ll eventually lie about it.

7 Likes

Let me see if I have this straight: it is not OK to wait until are ready to have kids. They wish to outlaw contraception, a morning after pill that flushes an embryo that has only been fertilized for a few hours. They wish to outlaw abortions even when the result of rape. They say only god can decide whether a baby will come into this world or not. Only God can decide whether an embryo doesn’t develop into a fetus. But IV fertilization is ok. The Republicans oppose the bill because…reasons. Some issue which only Republicans can own. And only they can own it, because they like to consider themselves the godly party. There is some sort of religious issue that’s involved, but the republicans cannot be articulate the issue. Now it’s all very clear to me. It’s all about campaign contributions from the Heritage foundation.

26 Likes

IFV won’t work on the pope, I think he’s safe.

The SBC can, as @lastroth said, can just not use IFV.

Their existence offends my sincerely held non religious beliefs, can I off them?

14 Likes

What the rancid blobfish was trying to say is the RWNJ employers shouldn’t have to pay for the godless heathens to have IVF treatment. I think.

16 Likes

GOP: scrambling eggs in the name of Jeebus.

6 Likes

That is such bullshit. Who forces a woman to want that? If she wants it, it’s because all other efforts have failed.

Who forces a woman to end a pregnancy, btw?

Oh, I know. Her republican politician boyfriend.

26 Likes

Ah, I see your problem - you don’t seem to realize that the term “Freedom” means that they must have the freedom to tell the rest of us what to do.

QED… :roll_eyes:

27 Likes