GOP Senators Defend Filibuster By Accusing Dems Of Pulling ‘Race Card’ | Talking Points Memo

Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Pat Toomey (R-PA) took to Sunday cable news programs to argue that Democrats are pulling the “race card” amid their growing calls to reform the filibuster, following President Biden’s Jim Crow comparisons regarding the Senate procedure and Georgia’s new overhaul of its election rules.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1366979
1 Like

“Every time a Republican does anything, we’re racist,” Graham said

Hey! He’s right!

97 Likes

They got nothin’, and the “up is down - blue is green” upside-downist gaslighting of the Trump Regime ain’t working for them anymore.

40 Likes

Graham and Toomey keep pounding on how the Democrats want to get rid of the filibuster. So what will they say when the Democrats reform the filibuster and keep it?

Toomey says the Democrats want to “ruin” “what remains of the functioning” of the Senate. What will he say when the filibuster is reformed and the Senate functions properly, with the majority passing legislation, but the minority having their voices heard?

30 Likes

Shorter GQP: We got mad when we got called on our false claim that the filibuster had not been used in a racist way. We are even angrier that the Democrats are calling us out on our attempts to do the same. When are Democrats going to give up on their racist attempt to see that everybody has an equal chance to vote?

35 Likes

Funny how that works. Introduce bills to make voting by minorities harder, and suddenly people run around calling you a racist.

67 Likes

🖕🏻
Aunt Crabby Calls Bullshit
🖕🏻
@DearAuntCrabby

Breaking News: The cargo ship stuck in the Suez Canal is blocking so much important and useful stuff that they have decided to rename it “Mitch McConnell”

60 Likes

Someone needs to inform Graham that making racist statements and supporting racist acts tends to provide all the proof voters need.

33 Likes

The Titanic’s captain pulled the iceberg card.
The crowing rooster pulled the sunrise card.
Others?

16 Likes

I’m not sure why they clutch pearls and lie, pretty much everyone knows what they are.

18 Likes

Graham should seek some psychiatric help. He is the LAST person in America who should be saying anything about this.

21 Likes

Shouldn’t they also have blamed it on " cancel culture " ? Not that it would make any sense but neither does " pulling the race card ". And when you’ve only got 2 arrows in the quiver you might as well pull 'em both out…

20 Likes

So, anybody here who didn‘t see this coming? Anybody? Anybody at all??

Thought not…

27 Likes

GOP Talking Points right out of the Rove/Luntz playbook and the Sunday Gasbag Shows give them a pass for saying these things.

14 Likes

Bingo!

Now John, tells what Ms Lindsey has won for this correct statement.

I see @teenlaqueefa beat me from the gate.

14 Likes

If I were Graham I would be thinking about some of his communications with Georgia officials, post November Elections…

32 Likes

Some cojones there.

5 Likes

They are saying the quiet parts out loud now, but still don’t realize that everyone can hear them.

32 Likes

Well, yes, Democrats are trying to extract the race card from Lindsey Graham’s ass and dispose of it properly. It is defective and needs to be replaced.

Strom Thurmond’s ghost of Jim Crow past needs to have a chat with Lindsey Graham.

10 Likes